Arisaka - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Arisaka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Correct. Removal of the cleaning rod rendered them "demilled".

I love the USSR.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
They wouldn't necessarily remove the serial number. They ground off the imperial mum, the insignia of the emperor. Like this pic taken from Wikipedia

Attachment 869
well, the rifle isn't in half bad shape, and the imperial mum is there. It is hard to see, but I know it was never grinded off. My uncle's uncle had swiped it during world war two, how I have no idea. I can't upload the pics onto here for some reason, and besides for some light rust on the action, the rifle itself is in a lot better shape than I remember. A little gun oil and some cleaning and the thing is as good as new. Just wondering, what is the significance of the imperial mum and why were so many grinded off? and i realize this rifle isn't worth much, as Japanese WWII weapons weren't of the highest quality

Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Well, don't be fooled by the "last ditch" Japanese rifles when you're comparing them to prewar rifles. The last ditch, made at home, out of blank wood stocks type of rifle is probably not worth much, but a prewar with an intact mum should be worth more than $300.

The mum was the imperial insignia, defacing it was denying Hirohito's godhood. In the same way, peening of the waffenamts of Nazi era Mausers and such is to indicate total and complete defeat of those two ideologies.

They were beaten and they couldn't deny it when their insignias were defaced.

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-17-2009, 04:10 AM   #14

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

There is a good web site that will tell you a lot about it.

Right here.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:37 AM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

alright, I'll check with that link and see. There's still a signature thing there though, and I'll have to read the dates on the rifle, but Thanks for all the input and help everyone.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

sounds like an interesting find . many thing add or subtact from the value. does it have a dust cover over the bolt? if so is it serial numbered to the gun? does it have original sling, cleaning rod, monopod, muzzle cap? these are just a few things that alter the value. unlike mausers jap rifles werent sold as surplus after the war. virtually all were brought home as war souviener

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #17

Default arasaka

what cal,there are 2 cal 6.5 and 7.7.forget about the poor quality.thats only in some ones head.they were stronger than most any military gun.proven tests.the early 6.5 was very well made.the 7.7 went from very good to poor.
but there are guns that were never made to shoot.I have 5- 7.7 and 2- 6.5.
the two piece butt is normal as they always were short on wood. ammo can be bought from GRAFS its Privi Partizan (serbia)can you read jap as the dates are in japanese.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:58 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ah the good old days. I remember seeing stacks of these things in the local shops when I was a kid, a "6.5 jap" would go for all of 40 bucks. Nobody would get one 'cause they were terrible shooters. Now 300 bones. Go figure.