Arisaka - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Arisaka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl32 View Post
Had a gunshop selling theseabout a year ago, original condition. They were filthy dirty and well used. Sold them for $100.00 each. Back around 1962 you could buy them sporterised for $59.00 from Mont. Wards, I bought one in 30-06, my first big game rifle. My dad also brought one back from Burma. Every kid in the neighborhood had either a Jap or Mauser, played cowboys and indians with them. I lost mine playing as many others did.
It's funny you mentioned this. My dad brought his home from Burma also.. A buddy of mine had a 7.7, his dad brought home, and he used to play with his outside. I couldn't as my mom said the gun was "booby-trapped, and might blow up..Huh????

Old 11-23-2009, 12:02 AM   #22

Sounds like your mom was quite a character...that's funny stuff i swear... because that sounds just like my grandmother.

In God We Trust...all others must pay cash.

“ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Old 11-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
Naw .. that was for bcl32
sorry rc, i just got that...i'm a little slow today i guess

“ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justen.223 View Post
sorry rc, i just got that...i'm a little slow today i guess

LoL.. No problem bud. Happens here too

GCA Member and NRA Life Member

Old 11-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justen.223 View Post
Sounds like your mom was quite a character...that's funny stuff i swear... because that sounds just like my grandmother.
Must be the generation...

Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
Must be the generation...
must be...

Old 11-23-2009, 02:34 AM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Arisaka

Nice Piece! I have two of its bigger brothers, model 99’s. {7.7X58 MM} One I won in card game, it was pretty beat up, and it magically transformed itself into a 30/06, fancy stock, etc. The other was from a friend how served in WWII a captured piece, near 100% with everything, sling, mono-pod, anti-aircraft sights, muzzle cover, dust cover, cleaning rod intact mum, bayonet with frog. I’ll send some pictures tomorrow. The converted on shoots sub MOA, the original will hold the 10 ring with its battle sights @ 100 yards. I also have some neat information regarding the model 38 you may like. A little test they did back in the 60’s on it…you will find it very intriguing.

"A man with rust on his gun, is man without honor"

Old 11-24-2009, 01:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by McX358 View Post
Nice Piece! I have two of its bigger brothers, model 99’s. {7.7X58 MM} One I won in card game, it was pretty beat up, and it magically transformed itself into a 30/06, fancy stock, etc. The other was from a friend how served in WWII a captured piece, near 100% with everything, sling, mono-pod, anti-aircraft sights, muzzle cover, dust cover, cleaning rod intact mum, bayonet with frog. I’ll send some pictures tomorrow. The converted on shoots sub MOA, the original will hold the 10 ring with its battle sights @ 100 yards. I also have some neat information regarding the model 38 you may like. A little test they did back in the 60’s on it…you will find it very intriguing.
i am interested. tell me more

Old 11-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by McX358 View Post
I also have some neat information regarding the model 38 you may like. A little test they did back in the 60’s on it…you will find it very intriguing.
Have anything to do with testing the action ?? I mentioned something earlier about the strength of the receivers and how the folks tried to "blow it up" but coudn't. The Japanese did have good metalergy back then. If you have more, please share. I've got a sporterized 38 that I love shooting. Still in original 6.5 caliber but no mum

Cheers

GCA Member and NRA Life Member

Old 11-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
Have anything to do with testing the action ?? I mentioned something earlier about the strength of the receivers and how the folks tried to "blow it up" but coudn't. The Japanese did have good metalergy back then. If you have more, please share. I've got a sporterized 38 that I love shooting. Still in original 6.5 caliber but no mum

Cheers
It has more to do with the fact it was a semi-rimmed cartridge with a slight extractor groove. There was more support for the cartridge head when it would blow there making it harder to wreck the action as compared to a Springfield, Enfield or Mauser that didn't have the same support. Metallurgy really has nothing to do with it. The M1 was tested with a cracked lug for over 5000 rounds IIRC and handled it with ease. As an aside, just because you saw no powder, primers etc. on the bench doesn't make it a good idea to smoke around any reloading bench, clean or otherwise. Basic safety goes a long way.