Anyone Know?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Anyone Know?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone Know?

During WWII I think it was GM that made a very small single shot 45ACP that was air dropped into France and the low countries by the zillions. It came in a tin can with 5? rounds of ammo, a dowel rod for clearing the empties, and a set of instructions that covered the loading and use of the gun. Wasn't much of a gun but used as directed an excellent gun to go pick up that nice Luger or P38 of mauser or smg with. I remember seeing one at a show years ago NIB complete but the guy wanted as much for it as a 1911. Anyone else know or seen these things?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Yes you are refering to the Liberator pistol. They made millions of the things to pass out to freedom fighters behind the lines in Europe. The idea was you walk up behind a German soldier, shoot him in the back of the head, and take his rifle. They never distributed many of them, and ended up destroying many after the war. They are rare, and very collectable so expect to pay a premium for one today. If I recall right they take over 5 minutes to load.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I always wondered how effective they were at getting German weapons. I'm sure it wouldn't work against a group of soldiers. I suppose you'd have to ambush a straggler on lure a lone one into a trap.

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I always wondered how effective they were at getting German weapons. I'm sure it wouldn't work against a group of soldiers. I suppose you'd have to ambush a straggler on lure a lone one into a trap.
I think one would seek out a lone soldier on guard duty to employ these pistols.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
PHN

Default Liberator cal. .45

Have read a lot about the Liberator but have never seen one in this country (Denmark) or for that matter in Europe outside museums. What I have seen are U.S. Carbines M1, Sten Guns, Colt pistols, S&W revolvers, Webley revolvers (and a few Webley pistols) parachuted down during WWII and a lot of German and other European handguns captured or otherwise "organized" from the German occuplation force.

To my knowledge most of the Liberators were parachuted down on the Philipines and far east countries and only relatively few in Europe. It should be interesting to read a report from someone having been in contact with Liberators in real life. (New witness reports from WWII tends to be seen only on rare occasions - time is running out).

Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 AM   #6

Default Pics of liberator...

I have a actually shot one, works okay from 5-10 feet

For those who haven't seen one I have pics of one on my USGI site.
Regards,
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

http://coolgunsite.com/images/1911/lib45/lib45.htm

Old 08-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #7

I always thought they were made for the chinese freedom fighters. The rounds were chambered 1 at a time and the pistol grip could hold the extra rounds loosely. From my understanding they were real wrist breakers. They cost like $.03 or $.30 to produce and they rolled out over a million in the first month. I have seen them at gun shows for over $1000. Would love to have one but I am in no way going to pay that for one.

"An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." George S. Patton

www.sabrearms.com
www.sabrearmsairsoft.com

Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

NRA TV and other gun related television shows have presented programs on the Liberators. According to them, they were dropped behind lines to partisans in all theaters of war during WW2.

Not only wee they cheap, you could make one in the time it took to load and fire one.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved