Anyone have any first hand experiance with the Czech 98K?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Anyone have any first hand experiance with the Czech 98K?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Anyone have any first hand experiance with the Czech 98K?

I recently picked up a Czech 98k Mauser with a turned down bolt handle for $200.

Does anyone have any first hand experiance with these rifles? I have looked them up on the web and they are a close copy to the German Mauser 98 but I was not sure. When it arrives I will post some pictures of it.

Last edited by canebrake; 09-06-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
I recently picked up a Czech 98k Mauser with a turned down bolt handle for $200.

Does anyone have any first hand experiance with these rifles? I have looked them up on the web and they are a close copy to the German Mauser 98 but I was not sure. When it arrives I will post some pictures of it.
Please loose the font! it gives me a headache.
To answer your question, yes. They are made from left over German parts from the DOU and DOT factories in Czechoslovakia. Mine is at the smiths now becoming a repro K98 low turret Sniper w/ an original scope and rings. Bases came from Austria.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for such a quick reply.
I was wondering how well does it shoot? I know the German Mausers are suposed to be great shooters? How does this compare?
I have several .303 Enfields, .30-06 1917 Enfields, 1903's, Moisin-Nagant's. This is my first Mauser and I really like the design just have never owned one and am very excited to shoot it.
But with all the different models of Mauser's out there it is hard to figure out which is which.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #4

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
Thanks for such a quick reply.
I was wondering how well does it shoot? I know the German Mausers are suposed to be great shooters? How does this compare?
I have several .303 Enfields, .30-06 1917 Enfields, 1903's, Moisin-Nagant's. This is my first Mauser and I really like the design just have never owned one and am very excited to shoot it.
But with all the different models of Mauser's out there it is hard to figure out which is which.
Each rifle is different. I had a pristine BYF 1942 that would not shoot well at all.
The Czech rifles are better than most late war German rifles. This one is a serious shooter. I purchased it from a gentleman that used it for pictures for his book on German '98 rifles. It is a Semi Kriegs model. I have a couple of Yugo 24/47's also. They are great shooters. I also have 4 Swedish Military rifles, An M41b Sniper, A standard M96 and 2 M38 Carbines. My hunting rifles are almost all Mausers or modified Mausers. Your 1917 and '03 are both Mauser copies. Before WWI the U.S. paid a license fee to Germany to build the '03. Hope you get a nice one. JP

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks. I hope the one I got is a shooter as well. The bore on the one that I purchased is still in very good shape. Will post a range report and pictures when I go next weekend.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #6

I have several of the Czech rifles. One will shot and one will not. Please have the head space checked before firing. I bought a go-no go gauge from Brownells in 7.92 mm and have never regretted the purchase. The actions are good while the barrels are often worn out.

patret

Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #7

Likes Given: 2

The czech 98's with the Winter Trigger guard are actually fairly rare, $300-$350 would be a pretty good estimate on value, a little more if they retain all their markings or if they have Israeli markings> The Czech's made loads of 98's from parts but the one's with Winter Trigger Guards were some of the last before full production of the actual czech models started (ie Wz's and then vz's)

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I only have one but its in 7.62

life member DAV.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

I have a Serbian post WWII Mauser, shoots well out to 100 yds. need to get it over to the 300 yd range and see where the rounds end up.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

phenelwolf,

i guess you already have your czech mauser and i assume you're pleased. the czech action is supposed to be about 1/2" shorter than the 98,m but otherwise is identical...

i have two czech, a turk, chilean and argentinian (german made) and spanish actions...all shoot well with iron sights at 100 yds.

budman

ignorance is fixable, stupidity is forever...