Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Any M1903 experts in the Tucson area?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Any M1903 experts in the Tucson area?

I'm looking at purchasing an M1903 but I don't know enough to tell if I'd be getting a good deal.

Is there anyone here in the Tucson area that can help me with the selection process? I have a bead on a 1903 here in town, but I don't know enough about 'em to make an educated decision.

Thanks

Rufus

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Most of them are way over priced or in poor condition.

The best place is to try the cmp. They currently have a supply of 1903s they are selling in condition that matches the price.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jon, I've looked at CMP and I think the only 1903's they have left are the "non-shoot" variety. I'm looking for a shooter.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

if you dont care about matching parts for collector reasons then the only things are be sure its above 800,000 for springfield armory and above 300,000 for rock island all others are safe. then its just a matter of muzzle and throat wear. a lot of 03s are counterbored. its usually ok but there isnt much real way to tell wear after its been bored out. a counterbored barrel is missing the rifling for the last half inch of bore near the muzzle.

a muzzle gauge in 30cal is a good indicator if its less than 4 you still got a lot of life left in the bore.

a poor mans or field expedient gauge is taking a round of ammo for the rifle in question and dropping it in the muzzle. if the bullet goes in up to the case mouth its got excessive wear or has been counter bored altho most of the time the shoulder of the cartridge will ht the crown in counter bores

spare barrels are common on gunbroker so if you find a good one in everything cept excessive erosion they can be rebarreled fairly cheaply.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 10-17-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There's one here in Tucson with s/n on receiver that puts it back to 1919. It's a Mark I. Everything appears good, bolt action is smooth, stock had a few dings and gouges but overall very nice looking. Haven't had a chance to check barrel. Receiver has cutout for Pederson device. Seller is asking $1250, and I'm not sure if that's a good price or not. I've seen very similar ones on the internet in the 7-800 dollar range.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Condition is everything. For a very good clean gun that has not been bubbad every part matching that can be in the ballpark of a collector version. Shooters are normally in the 500-800 range.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You may also want to consider checking out the auction sites on-line..

Gunbroker and Auctionarms are two of the top sites.. This will give you an idea of price range if there are some up for auction. $1250 is pretty high for that one you mentioned. Most of the ones I've seen are around $700 range.

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"