Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Another Garand from the CMP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Another Garand from the CMP

Yesterday the Fed Ex driver delivered what will probably be my last Garand from the CMP as political and collector demand will probably dry up the source of these historical items. Guess I am fortunate that it only took 9 months for delivery given todays demands. Anyway, there is once again no disappointment with the product. Field grade, muzzle reading +1, throat reading +2. Stock appears to be walnut and has an interesting cartushe. It is a H&R with a HRA 3-55 barrel. Most parts are marked HRA. No really bad stock wear and most dents can be steamed out..no big nasty gouges..light sanding and linseed oil should finish the job. Overall very pleased. Have never been disappointed with field grade M1's.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

xring,

I also picked up a Garand at Camp Perry this year at the National Matchs. It is a Winchester but does have one pretty decent sized gouge in it from being stored in a bundle of rifles. 5/8 in by 1/4" and about 1/4 deep. I was told the barrel was worth more than I paid for the entire rifle? Build date Jan. 1944. I have been gently working on the stock with Acetone since the oil used on it has gotten very dark thick and dull. I would be interested in someone to write an article about steaming out dents in rifle stocks. I think it would be benificial for those on the Forum. Congradulations on your find!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 09-05-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Steaming only works for shallow dents. Anything deep or if wood fibers have been crushed or broken it doesnt work

Old 09-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #4

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am by no means an expert woodworker however, this is what I do. I strip the old finish off (some think this is criminal..but it is my property now). Next, I lightly (remember LIGHTLY) sand the stock. Run a damp cloth over entire stock and let dry (this will bring out fibers that look like hair) then knock them off with finishing paper of 0000 steel wool. Repeat this till you get tired of doing it. I then use a steam iron (not the one that your wife uses..well, my wife does not use an iron anymore..stock iron was purchased at an auction for a few bucks). Take the damp cloth previously used place on area to be lifted, put hot iron on cloth and leave for 15 to 30 seconds. Check dent, try till results are achieved. When dents are fixed and stock is dry use 0000 steel wool again. Before applying finish make sure sanding dust is removed with a tac cloth. Apply the finish you desire. May not be the perfect or best way but it does work. MHO. You may also want to check some of the woodworking forums for other ways. BTW...I have pulled out some pretty deep dents and even those with broken fibers..just takes time.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by xring3; 09-05-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Take a straight pin and poke several holes in the dent, this will help steam to get under the dent and swell wood fibers and raise it.
Dont expect alot of results the first time around,you may need to work on the same dent several days in a row.
Again steaming will do litlle to nothing for deep dents

Old 09-06-2013, 02:55 AM   #6
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2983 Times on 2031 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando
Take a straight pin and poke several holes in the dent, this will help steam to get under the dent and swell wood fibers and raise it.
Dont expect alot of results the first time around,you may need to work on the same dent several days in a row.
Again steaming will do litlle to nothing for deep dents
That's right! thats exactly what they teach in Smithing school. Very sad that the program was killed.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*