Advice for a 3 Yr Collector - (if you can call me that)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Advice for a 3 Yr Collector - (if you can call me that)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Advice for a 3 Yr Collector - (if you can call me that)

I have been buying guns for about 4 years now, and began an interest in collecting about 3 years ago. I have a son, age 7, and i would like to pass down my "collection" to him in 20 -30 years. I don't really have any older guns, but have tried to buy with the future in mind.

I am really learning a lot reading the forum, as i am VERY GREEN at this point. I was hoping to get some expert advice on a few guns that i have (as i am going to have to reduce my current stock by about ten guns), and get your opinion on the guns with "special" features. Do you think these guns are a fad, or something that will be valuable as a collection piece 20 - 30 years from now.
The guns i am wondering about are:
Walther PK 380 "First Edition" marking on them - i have read they only made 2000
Colt Pocket 9 - Karh had a lawsuit that supposedly stopped production and i have read they made an estimated 8000 total of these
Desert Eagle 50AE - i got the gold titanium finish (not tiger striped) in hopes that it would not feel so "pimp-ish" in 20 - 30 yrs
18.5" Mossberg 500 with the Knoxx Sidewinder kit installed with the heat shield, stock, and 10 round drum - Supposedly Knoxx could not manufacture them economically due to an issue with their supplier, and only made them for a short time (i think one year). Seems to be the one with the highest demand out of the four i listed. Some have had problems with their kit not feeding, but mine has never malfunctioned once

I have many other guns that are good quality, but nothing out of the ordinary. If they are a fad, then it gives me even more reason to sell as some of these are in demand right now. But if they seem to be good pieces to have 20-30 years from now, then i would not want to choose them as one of the ten i am going to sell.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure you already got some good answers to these questions in your intro thread. Some companies, Beretta is one, love to make a ton of "special editions" or "limited runs" - doesn't mean they'll be worth anything more in the future. Quality appreciates through the years, not necessarily marketing gimmicks. When I lived up near Atlanta, folks were trying to sell Glocks that were issued for the 96 Olympics as "special" items and nobody ponied up the prices they were asking.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV...

Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's really a crap shoot on what guns will be worth anything down the line especially 20 to 30 years from now. The market fluctuates so much. Case in point are the Yugo SKSs.. not much more than a year ago I could get an unissued one from my supplier for $100 or a little more. Now, LOL, no way you can get one much below $300 but there are some that are worth less than they were a year ago..

Personally I try and shy away from special editions or special run guns since they usually don't appreciate in value that much.

The bottom line always comes down to this: Whatever it is you are trying to sell is only worth as much as someones willing to pay for it..

Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I'm pretty sure you already got some good answers to these questions in your intro thread. Some companies, Beretta is one, love to make a ton of "special editions" or "limited runs" - doesn't mean they'll be worth anything more in the future. Quality appreciates through the years, not necessarily marketing gimmicks. When I lived up near Atlanta, folks were trying to sell Glocks that were issued for the 96 Olympics as "special" items and nobody ponied up the prices they were asking.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV...
Sorry if this came off as double posting, i just elaborated more than i had planned on in the introduction, and i did not know if this would be a more appropriate place to post it, if not everyone reads the introductions. But your are right, i did get some great answers there as well.

I guess my biggest question (i.e. regret) is the GOLDEN desert eagle. I really did want it to experience the feel of a 50 cal. (only shot it ten times total though). But i did not like the gold look for myself, as i don't have any hats to match it... But with some older very pricey and desirable collectors guns i had seen at some show, and stores, i noticed a lot of them were gold plated in some form or fashion, and that is why i did it. Hate to think i paid that much extra for something that wont be worth anymore, and was a little embarrassing pulling out at the range. - And i say embarrassing because i am just not a "BIG GOLDEN GUN" kind of guy... Nothing against anyone else that has one/likes them. I say to each his own.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:21 AM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Desert Eagle 50AE - i got the gold titanium finish (not tiger striped) in hopes that it would not feel so "pimp-ish" in 20 - 30 yrs
Really you paid money for the Pimptastic DE WOW just WOW....

Here

This is a $113,500 SHOTGUN How much gold do you see on it? http://www.hollandandholland.com/~newyork/newguns/9812121241509.htm

Here is a $155,000 Double rifle again How much gold do you see on it? http://www.hollandandholland.com/~newyork/newguns/98202020mm465.htm

Here is a more affortable gun that would end up being a collectable $18,995 Not a lot of gold. http://finegunroom.basspro.com/index.html#view=product-detail&product_id=791

The gold guns in the back of Guns & Ammo are not collector guns they are sucker guns.

Sure anyone can collect anything. Just remember that guns are tools and really how many people can afford to lay out $155,000 for a car let alone a gun.

Gold doesn't = collector gun.

Last edited by cpttango30; 09-17-2010 at 03:36 AM.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

You buy quality weapons and they will hold and eventually rise in value. I've found this to be true my whole gun loving life. What will they be worth in 30 years? Who knows. But as they travel down your family I"m sure they will make them all happy. I have an old shotgun of my Dads...It's not worth a whole lot I don't think but I would never part with it. I also have a couple handguns around here that are worth a good bit more than I have in them. And I"m sure that will be the case when they go traveling down through the family. I hope they stay in the family but you never know. If they did end up sold they'll bring what the market supports at that time. But they are all pretty good weapons..Colt, Springfield, Remington, etc. And quality never goes out of style.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-17-2010, 04:48 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
You buy quality weapons and they will hold and eventually rise in value. I've found this to be true my whole gun loving life. What will they be worth in 30 years? Who knows. But as they travel down your family I"m sure they will make them all happy. I have an old shotgun of my Dads...It's not worth a whole lot I don't think but I would never part with it. I also have a couple handguns around here that are worth a good bit more than I have in them. And I"m sure that will be the case when they go traveling down through the family. I hope they stay in the family but you never know. If they did end up sold they'll bring what the market supports at that time. But they are all pretty good weapons..Colt, Springfield, Remington, etc. And quality never goes out of style.
That is a great point. My son is 7 and i am sure you can imagine his favorite gun is the Desert Eagle. He likes to look at the others to, but he just cant quit talking about the Desert Eagle. He comes along with me occasionally when i go shooting, and i let him stand a little closer when i fired it, so he could actually feel the power of it, and he loved it. Still talks about how he could feel the "sound" of it. Of course i would like to get guns that would be worth as much as possible, but you certainly have a great point. The money for the gun wont be the only important thing. Memories are just as valuable. I appreciate the advice.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Really you paid money for the Pimptastic DE WOW just WOW....
Yes, i know.... it was the second or third gun i bought, had no idea about anything then (still don't) and it was 1300 for the gold, and around 1100 without it. While i still don't know much about strategy for buying guns that will increase in value (for the last ten years i have been focused on my business - software and web design company - 14 to 16 hr days 6 to 7 days a week, but i became ill about two years ago now and ended up selling it to a larger company at the first of the year due to being so sick. So now i actually have time to learn about the ONLY hobby i have really enjoyed), at least now i know how much A LOT of people hate this gun. But it is no doubt my sons favorite, so i think i may hang on to it for his sake.

Quote:
..... Sure anyone can collect anything. Just remember that guns are tools and really how many people can afford to lay out $155,000 for a car let alone a gun.

Gold doesn't = collector gun.
So are these guys (the first two) kind of the cream of the crop for gun makers? They are certainly incredible pieces. What exactly is it that makes the guns so valuable (i.e. i have heard that if a certain engraver does the work, then it is much more valuable.)

I don't think i would ever justify getting into this league, just curious here. My interest is more in the area of finding guns that we can use/make memories with, and possibly later be a valuable hard to get gun.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #9

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Holladn and Holland are artist that happen to work with guns.

There are a lot of guns out there that are being collected that don't cost over $300.

My dad is heavy in to collecting old Mossberg 22lr rifles. He has 50 or 60 don't think he has paid over $300 for any of them even the real nice rare ones.

Shotguns esp Over Unders get expensive REAL fast. If you watch the olympics I think every shotgun on the line was a $10k + shotgun. Most of them were perazzi shotguns.

Catalogue

Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5736 Times on 3361 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg2000 View Post
18.5" Mossberg 500 with the Knoxx Sidewinder kit installed with the heat shield, stock, and 10 round drum - Supposedly Knoxx could not manufacture them economically due to an issue with their supplier, and only made them for a short time (i think one year). Seems to be the one with the highest demand out of the four i listed. Some have had problems with their kit not feeding, but mine has never malfunctioned once
That is awesome! I had no idea such a creation existed. I would love to see a picture of that one.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.