??? About a Trade?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > ??? About a Trade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Default ??? About a Trade?

Im thinking of trading my Finnish M39 for a No.5 Mk.1 Enfield..

Just wondering how to tell a real "Jungle Carbine" from one just made from a No.4??

Do you guys think its a good trade?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

If you see "Golden State Arms" or "Santa Fe" anywhere on the gun, or Long Branch or Savage- run.

The No. 5 receiver is the same as the No. 4 except for "lightening" cuts made into the side of the receiver. The term "Lightening" means chunks or slabs of metal were sliced out of the metal of the receiver to reduce weight. The No. 4 barrel was shortened and a conical flash hider/front sight/bayonet lug was installed over the muzzle and secured with pins. There are also "lightening" cuts made in the rear of the exterior of the barrel. Bolt handle is hollowed out.

Would I trade? No. Recoil excessive, muzzle flash incredible, and the rifle you have is an excellent rifle.

no5-lightening.jpg

no5triggergroupwtext.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 10-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Here read this, it will tell you if you got a real one or not. This is one of those times when wikipedia is your friend, pretty much most of it is true............
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Carbine

When all else fails.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

O & Yes I Would Trade !..................If It`s Real.

When all else fails.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #5

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I would not trade unless it is to fill a hole in you collection. They have a reputation for a wandering zero which I have noticed on both of mine. The recoil is also quite unpleasant. Keep the rifle that you have. I haven't shot either of mine in 25 years.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #6

To be honest I dont really care for the Enfeild no.5, or my M39... How is the trade value wise? Would the No.5 be easier to sell or trade in the future?

The no.5 looks like it is a real one, it seems to have all the correct features... Its a BSA made in 1946, I read those are the rarer ones?

Despite being the "best" Mosin my M39 is still just a Mosin, and I just really dont like the Mosin action... But the fact its made from a pre-1898 receiver, makes me not want to just trade it for something foolish....

The only "holes" im my rifle collection are a Krag and Garand. (Ever since I got my M1903 and M1917, Ive had it real bad for American guns.... )

Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #7

Just put my M39 in the for sale section if anybodys interested...