Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (
-   -   ??? About a Trade? (

Trez 10-09-2013 02:52 AM

??? About a Trade?
Im thinking of trading my Finnish M39 for a No.5 Mk.1 Enfield..

Just wondering how to tell a real "Jungle Carbine" from one just made from a No.4??

Do you guys think its a good trade?

c3shooter 10-09-2013 05:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If you see "Golden State Arms" or "Santa Fe" anywhere on the gun, or Long Branch or Savage- run.

The No. 5 receiver is the same as the No. 4 except for "lightening" cuts made into the side of the receiver. The term "Lightening" means chunks or slabs of metal were sliced out of the metal of the receiver to reduce weight. The No. 4 barrel was shortened and a conical flash hider/front sight/bayonet lug was installed over the muzzle and secured with pins. There are also "lightening" cuts made in the rear of the exterior of the barrel. Bolt handle is hollowed out.

Would I trade? No. Recoil excessive, muzzle flash incredible, and the rifle you have is an excellent rifle.

Attachment 121759

Attachment 121760

303tom 10-09-2013 03:13 PM

Here read this, it will tell you if you got a real one or not. This is one of those times when wikipedia is your friend, pretty much most of it is true............

303tom 10-09-2013 03:15 PM

O & Yes I Would Trade !..................If It`s Real.

samnev 10-09-2013 05:59 PM

I would not trade unless it is to fill a hole in you collection. They have a reputation for a wandering zero which I have noticed on both of mine. The recoil is also quite unpleasant. Keep the rifle that you have. I haven't shot either of mine in 25 years.

Trez 10-10-2013 03:26 AM

To be honest I dont really care for the Enfeild no.5, or my M39... How is the trade value wise? Would the No.5 be easier to sell or trade in the future?

The no.5 looks like it is a real one, it seems to have all the correct features... Its a BSA made in 1946, I read those are the rarer ones?

Despite being the "best" Mosin my M39 is still just a Mosin, and I just really dont like the Mosin action... But the fact its made from a pre-1898 receiver, makes me not want to just trade it for something foolish....

The only "holes" im my rifle collection are a Krag and Garand. (Ever since I got my M1903 and M1917, Ive had it real bad for American guns.... :( )

Trez 10-11-2013 03:21 AM

Just put my M39 in the for sale section if anybodys interested...