$99 Mosins - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > $99 Mosins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #21
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 952 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the replies on the recoil. I talked to my pt guy and my doctor on my last visit to each and both said I should have no problem. The pt guy is an avid hunter and shooter so he should understand my concerns. The doc on the other gave the impression that he hadn't ever seen a gun except in the movies. But he knows how much "gorilla glue", duct tape, and office staples he used to put my shoulder back together and how strong it should be.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:07 AM   #22

Liked 2505 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Recoil pads for the Mosin are cheap and easy to find.

If your gun shop sells Mosins, they probably have them

for about 10$

Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 AM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
Thanks for the replies on the recoil. I talked to my pt guy and my doctor on my last visit to each and both said I should have no problem. The pt guy is an avid hunter and shooter so he should understand my concerns. The doc on the other gave the impression that he hadn't ever seen a gun except in the movies. But he knows how much "gorilla glue", duct tape, and office staples he used to put my shoulder back together and how strong it should be.
LMAO!!!

how come i am now getting this mental picture of you looking like Frankenstein now?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 AM   #24
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
LMAO!!!

how come i am now getting this mental picture of you looking like Frankenstein now?
Dagnabitt!! I thought I had the camera blocked on this computer how did you get a mental picture of me??
Old 03-28-2014, 04:32 AM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Dagnabitt!! I thought I had the camera blocked on this computer how did you get a mental picture of me??
well either you are put together like Frankenstein, or your doctor is a redneck!
Old 03-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #26

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The Mosin recoil is mostly a myth perpetuated by newbees and improper stance. I have a Win. m94 30/30 that kicks considerably more than my 91/30s. If the gun fits properly, the recoil shouldn't be an issue unless you have little experience with similar calibers. You can usually recognize lack of experience by how much someone complains about the kick. I have a bad rotator cuff but I can easily handle a long day (at least 100 rounds) at the range with little or no problem. If you get one and/

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Trez Likes This 
Old 03-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #27

Liked 188 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 56

As stated, the recoil of the 91/30 is not really bad, but I find the recoil of M44 to be annoying.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #28
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8185

Quote:
Kind of a subjective question here, but after 2 shoulder injuries I am a little recoil sensitive. I have been eyeing the mosins at gun shows lately but am wondering how the recoil compares to a moderate 12 gauge trap load which I can shoot almost all day with no problem.

I know, sorta makes me sound like a wimp, but I have missed 9 months of work in the last 2 years with this shoulder and don't want to miss more. Plus at my age I am not fond of pain from recoil.
Quick question. Is your shoulder injury on your strong side? I am guessing that is the case, but i can't be sure.

If it is, try shooting from the opposite side of your body. If it goes against your dominant eye, put a piece of Scotch tape over the center of the lens on the dominant eye side of your shooting glasses. You can still see, but it will force you non dominant eye to take over. Just an idea to help reduce down time due to higher recoil.

If they were still in stock, I would be tempted to order a couple of them myself. Not as shooters, umless i get real lucky (they are marked as B grade for a reason). I would pick then up to use the receivers as starting points for project builds, and the rest of the rifle as parts kits. For about $5 to$10 more, I can pick up a 91\30 locally after inspecting it myself at a LGS 15 minutes from my house. Said shop has refinished 91\30 round receiver units fro around $140, and hexes for about $150, numbers matching.

$99 and shipping seems like a good deal, and to some extent it is. It's just not the best deal for me at the present time. the last $99 Mosin I picked up was a type 53 at a gun show last year that had all matching numbers, good wood, and a shiny bore. It was the last one on the guys table, and the other person who was interested had to run to the ATM. I had the cash on me, so i got handed the paperwork. I'd be willing to bet that the other guy will make sure he brings enough cash to the next show he attends.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:11 AM   #29
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Quick question. Is your shoulder injury on your strong side? I am guessing that is the case, but i can't be sure.

If it is, try shooting from the opposite side of your body. If it goes against your dominant eye, put a piece of Scotch tape over the center of the lens on the dominant eye side of your shooting glasses. You can still see, but it will force you non dominant eye to take over. Just an idea to help reduce down time due to higher recoil.
I am one of those backwards guy who are right handed but left eye dominant, so I shoot left handed. It is my left shoulder that is the problem. The scotch tape idea is interesting, I will try it when it warms up.

As dteed mentioned I do have little experience with similar calibers. I have a Remington bdl in .270 that I like a lot and a Winchester Ranger in 30-30 that I think kicks too much, but it is very light, no weight to absorb recoil.

90% of my shooting in recent years has been trap, but I just moved and I think I can set up at least a 100 yard range and maybe as much as 175 yards. So a rifle that I can get ammo for relatively inexpensively is in the near future.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #30
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
well either you are put together like Frankenstein, or your doctor is a redneck!
Doctor was kind of a yuppie type and looked like he may have been about 16 years old. but then at my age everybody under 30 looks 16. The physical therapist had some redneck tendencies though, we got along good!!!