91-30, Yea or nay? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > 91-30, Yea or nay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
About $70 plus shipping from Southern Ohio Gun IF you have a C&R FFL. ANd the top scoring sniper in history was named Simo Hayha- guess what he used? The m/n's are ugly crude- and shoot very well. go over to surplusrifle.com, and read up on improving the triggers.
Ummm, well he didn't use a 91/30 I can tell you. He used a Finnish made M28/30 and a Suomi K31 SMG. A 91/30 compared to a Finn made 28/30 is not even close.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 AM   #12

Though I've never hunted and only shoot at floating objects out to about 80 feet, the MN 44 is fun and much easier to maneuver & carry under/between tree limbs, cars in a garage etc.
For these uses the much longer 91/30 seemed awkward, impractical and
sold it.

My shoulders are skinny and shooting while standing, don't need a recoil pad for the 44-put it on the SKS to lengthen the short stock.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:07 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I now find myself in the same position as the original poster. I have an M44 and want to pick up a 91/30. There are plenty at the Hampton gun show this weekend with hex receivers for $105. Or I could go with a round receiver for about $95. Not the greatest prices, but considering I have a free ride out there (don't have a car right now) the convienence makes it appealing. The extra price is also worth being able to look them over beforehand. I'm sure the best ones have been picked over, but I think certain flaws to add character (and perhaps can be a bargaining chip with some of the sellers).

Decisions, decision. . .

Old 01-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I hadn't really considered the supply drying up, but I can see it happening. Guess I'd better jump on it while I can.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #15

Never regretted buying ANY gun. Regretted NOT buying a couple. Does that help?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandGuy View Post
I wouldn't say it is a big "No-No" to alter any rifle, it is your own personal rifle, do with it what you want. The reason I say this is: "Do you plan on selling it anytime soon?". Most folks buy a firearm to keep it and so they may alter it to some degree or do a total sporterizing job on it at their own "personal" discretion, or keep it like it is. There was a gentleman that said his bifocals interfere with his sight alignment. Some folks need to make changes in order to enjoy shooting a rifle or any other type of firearm for them to enjoy personally. The 91-30 is a great rifle, bore sizes can vary quite a bit depending on the usage of it in the past, or how worn the tooling was too at the time of manufacture. Some bore sizes can range from .308" to .318" {!} in some cases too.
I don't think the previous posters were worried about altering the rifle and affecting value or keeping it original. They were worried about altering a rifle obtained through a c&r. Since a c&r is about collecting historic firearms, it might be a no-no to alter it.

by the way, i REALLY want a mosin, and will have one soon.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Correct. You can't Bubba a C&R acquired firearm.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #18

Why do you say "Bubba"? Bubba is when someone who {thinks} that they are a gunsmith ruins a perfectly good C&R. I have a truly Bubba'd K-98 Mauser that I bought for $75 and it is a GROSS attempt at sporterizing, for details, please PM me.

So is this to say that you cannot replace the barrel if needed, or stock if needed or replace parts if needed? Why would a scope be a no-no? Also, what is the difference just because someone bought it with a C&R versus someone who could buy the exact same kind of gun in a gunshop on a shelf or from a private owner? I've been to many forums and never heard of this.

Also, if the rifle was made prior to 1899 it excuses it from ANY FFL.
Pre-1899 Firearms FAQ About half way down the page you will find a paragraph about Mosin's.

If there is a doubt to the date of manufacturer you can usually find it under the tang which requires disassembly. My Finn captured M-39 falls in this category and is heavily altered but still very serviceable. My Swedish Mauser 6.5x55mm Carbine falls in this category as well. Also, here is another handy link:
7.62x54r.net The now late friend I got the M-39 from bought it from a man with a C&R and he altered it to suit him. I changed out the ATI bolt handle and replaced it with a straight bolt handle because the torque needed to lift the bolt after firing required a HICKORY rough cut 2x6 and a "B.F.H."! My M-39 has an ATI stock, Rock Monut Bi-Pod, nylon padded sling, and aftermarket sights and is exceptionally accurate with a .310" bore and a 26" long Finn barrel of said bore size. The Finn's made the barrels to not only fire their own ammo which they sized at 7.62x53 but kept the longer throat design, rimmed ammo headspaces on the rim not the shoulder, but also any Russian ammo they may encounter on the battlefield, even the high pressured machine gun ammo made in Russia as well.

Besides, who is really going to check up on you on a regular basis to see if you added an era correct optic and mount on a C&R weapon? Does the FCC knock on every door for illegal HAM radios everyday? I seriously believe if you did it tastefully and tried to keep it era correct I doubt they would tar and feather you. I also do believe that Seastalkingbear can attest to this statement as well.

My M-39 started life as a Sestroryetsk M-91 {not M-91-30} made in Russia and falls in the Pre-1899 exemptions. And is a Sako rework as well.

I plan on altering my M-1 Garand but in good taste. Different barrel in same caliber, not that .308 stuff and keeping it looking "stock" or within factory parameters. PM me for details as well if you have any doubts.

Also, please read my Public Profile under "Additional Information" as well. I used to Moderate in about 7 forums and was not only a "Roving Topic Moderator", but I was also a Military Surplus specific Moderator as well, along with my military time.

With all due respect. GarandGuy

Last edited by GarandGuy; 02-23-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
So is this to say that you cannot replace the barrel if needed, or stock if needed or replace parts if needed? Why would a scope be a no-no?
This is NOT to say you can never repair a c&r. The idea behind a c&r is to collect and use historic firearms. And nobody said a scope is a definite no-no. We said you should check into the laws BEFORE doing it. It might be an issue, since major changes aren't allowed. Refurbing and repairing are different from altering.

Quote:
Also, what is the difference just because someone bought it with a C&R versus someone who could buy the exact same kind of gun in a gunshop on a shelf or from a private owner?
A BIG difference! The c&r is a special permit given by the government, allowing you to COLLECT historic firearms. Because of this, you must also keep a list/book off all your c&r firearms, and I think there are restrictions on how soon or how many in your collection can be sold per year. Someone else can chime in with more accurate details, but the basic idea is YES, there IS a difference between the two...

Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #20

OK I stand corrected at the present time, but if you bought the firearm you should be able to do what you want with it within respect of the C&R rules and not be chastised for keeping it respectable within era correct parts or era respectable alterations. So long as you don't try to pass it off as ORIGINAL it should not be a National Threat nor catastrophy. I edited this and my last post too. Sorry if I offended you Janik or anyone else on this matter. I'm not a C&R or FFL holder, maybe it's a good thing I'm not? JOKING on my last question. But I do know a good bit about the statistics and ballistics and history of milsurps.

Last edited by GarandGuy; 02-23-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Newest Threads