91-30, Yea or nay?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > 91-30, Yea or nay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default 91-30, Yea or nay?

Have an M-44, far from the most accurate gun in the world, but cheap and fun to shoot. Since the 91-30 is essentially the same gun with a longer barrel, is the accuracy improved enough to justify the purchase, or should I spend the money on ammo?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

The 91 30 isn't very expensive and it shoots the same ammo, so get another gun while you can....

9x18=Makarov

Old 12-19-2008, 02:16 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9149 Times on 3951 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

About $70 plus shipping from Southern Ohio Gun IF you have a C&R FFL. ANd the top scoring sniper in history was named Simo Hayha- guess what he used? The m/n's are ugly crude- and shoot very well. go over to surplusrifle.com, and read up on improving the triggers.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have the C&R, problem is I'm not sure if I can add a scope, as it would alter the gun, a big no no.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9149 Times on 3951 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Add a russian mount and scope, and it has not changed the rifle. For a 91/30.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Or get the scout scope mount so you can change it back with no alterations visible.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #7

Go for it. I bought a M44 (made 1945) first. Then I got a 91/30 round receiver (made 1943). It just felt better - balance wise. Less blast and felt recoil. Just picked up a M91/30 hex receiver (made 1933) I ordered from J&G. One of the issues with these surplus guns - when they are available take advantage of it. Some day the the river will run dry and the cost will go up. Remember when plentiful and cheap Chineese SKS's and Russian Makarovs were everywhere?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #8

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I have a 91/30 also and I find it a very fun rifle to shoot and is a fair accurate rifle if I had to rely on it for sustenance leaving I would not turn my nose up at it. The iron sights are placed just right for me sense I ware Bi-focals

Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #9

I wouldn't say it is a big "No-No" to alter any rifle, it is your own personal rifle, do with it what you want. The reason I say this is: "Do you plan on selling it anytime soon?". Most folks buy a firearm to keep it and so they may alter it to some degree or do a total sporterizing job on it at their own "personal" discretion, or keep it like it is. There was a gentleman that said his bifocals interfere with his sight alignment. Some folks need to make changes in order to enjoy shooting a rifle or any other type of firearm for them to enjoy personally. The 91-30 is a great rifle, bore sizes can vary quite a bit depending on the usage of it in the past, or how worn the tooling was too at the time of manufacture. Some bore sizes can range from .308" to .318" {!} in some cases too.

I own a Sako rework M-39 hexagonal receiver and its accuracy is awesome, When I got it, it was fitted with an ATI stock and bolt handle, but I switched out the bolt handle and the aftermarket sights while not the best looking are great for accuracy and it also wears a Rock Mount bi-pod too.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say "Yea"

A nice 91/30 would be a good companion for your M44.

Careful though............Mosins tend to breed other mosins. I know..........

"Listen, stupid..... The first week I was in this joint, somebody stole my Red Cross package, my blanket, and my left shoe. Well, since then I've wised up. This ain't no Salvation Army - this is everybody for himself, dog eat dog."

"In Confusion.......There Is Profit"
Lt. Nick Holden USN