91/30 range trip
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > 91/30 range trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 91/30 range trip

Just took my Mosin Nagant to the range today. Someone on here once said that it kicks like a mule... NO KIDDIN' It kicks as much as my 12 ga. Mossy Tactical! Couldn't hit $hit though at 100yds. Do I need a M/N specific sight tool? Shot Silver Bear 204 gr. and Brown Bear 185 gr. and had a hard time hitting paper. What gives? What's the best way to sight her in?
Start at 50yds and get it to POA? Any suggestions would be great.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

IIRC, most of these have a 200 yard zero- they are gonna shoot uncommonly high at 50. Would probably start by cleaning the barrel VERY well- many of these have been re-arsenaled, but that can leave junk in the bore. Then check for wear at the muzzle- GENTLY insert on unfired round in the muzzle- it should not be close to cartridge case/muzzle meeting- and it should not rock one side to the other. Muzzle wear generally caused by cleaning rod friction. CAN be helped by counterboring muzzle for an inch to clean out the damaged rifling IF that is the problem. Do not expect too much from milsurp ammo. Start with a clean rifle at 50 meters, see where you are. Good info on a lot of milsurp guns at www.surplusrifle.com. PS- have a 91-30 and M-44 that are good shooters- but have an M-38 that LOOKS great- shoots like crap. I guess made on a Monday after a purge of Commissars or something....

Old 11-20-2008, 02:30 AM   #3

have you made it back to the range yet? I start at 50 with these rifles also. My M44 shoots pretty much right on at 50, and so does my M39. My 91/30 shoots high. I hold 6 O'clock on a 12" bull to get the shots in the center at 50. I'll try at 100 soon, but must get the Muzzle loader sighted in first.

keep at it. i am learning to love the Mosin nagants.

take care,

Tom

Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by engravertom View Post
have you made it back to the range yet? I start at 50 with these rifles also. My M44 shoots pretty much right on at 50, and so does my M39. My 91/30 shoots high. I hold 6 O'clock on a 12" bull to get the shots in the center at 50. I'll try at 100 soon, but must get the Muzzle loader sighted in first.

keep at it. i am learning to love the Mosin nagants.

take care,

Tom
Not with the M/S. Went Mon. with my M1 Garand. Finally getting all eight shots on an 8" target at 100 yds. I'll head back next week w/ the 91/30.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #5

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Then check for wear at the muzzle- GENTLY insert on unfired round in the muzzle- it should not be close to cartridge case/muzzle meeting- and it should not rock one side to the other.

Unless it was already counterbored, then the cartridge would go all the way to the neck. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. I have 4 counterbored Mosin Nagants, and only one doesn't shoot a tight group.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

I agree with the six o'clock hold. My 91/30 shoots a little high at 100yds using surplus heavy ball which is 181gr, so the 204gr rounds might be falling a bit short.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.