91/30 Mosin Nagant Safety
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

91/30 Mosin Nagant Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default 91/30 Mosin Nagant Safety

I have been searching for a way to make the safety on my 91/30 a little more user friendly. I tore the bolt down and cleaned it Safariland CLP like I usually do. Then I degreased the entire assembly. I lubricated the bolt with CRC spray on white lithium grease. Assembled the bolt. Then slid the bolt in the receiver. I did nothing more or less.

I can actually get the safety to work as Mosin or Nagant intended for the safety to work. I have had this rifle for three years. The safety has always been inoperable. I never hunted with a round in the pipe when I used that rifle. I can now use the safety. On the can of spray on grease it says for heavy lubrication. The 91/30 safety is definitely heavy to turn.

I do not know if I am on to something but we shall see in the next six weeks. The 91/30 is shooting very good. I am ready to try the 91/30 on a mature 3 year old buck.

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-11-2014 at 02:07 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 998 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1876

I've managed to use the safety on my 91/30, but it isn't easy, especially with a little arthritis setting in. Mine is shooting high, about 6" at 56 paces, using a convenient tree trunk as a standing rest.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1352 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
I've managed to use the safety on my 91/30, but it isn't easy, especially with a little arthritis setting in. Mine is shooting high, about 6" at 56 paces, using a convenient tree trunk as a standing rest.

Aim 6 inches lower!!

Old 11-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4633 Times on 3128 Posts
Likes Given: 2340

As far as I remember, the bolt safety has always been stiff on the Mosin rifles, because the soldier was not expected to use it often. The heavy trigger and operator's discipline were the practical safety. It is a Russian pattern and it reflects their doctrine. The AK safety is also awkward compared to the AR or the M14 or the G3. I can't remember hearing from anyone that they want to make the Mosin safety usable. I am sure it can be done.

P.S. Many if not most shoot high, it's normal w/o the bayonet. A simple sight job fixes it, PM if interested.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #5

Liked 392 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Mosin safety ring.
A little brazing or welding and you have a big safety to grab.

http://tacticalvantage.com/fr/mosin-nagant-parts/948-mosin-nagant-cocking-knob-safety-pull-ring-black.html

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 11-30-2014 at 12:28 AM.
303tom Likes This 
Old 11-30-2014, 12:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhuntr View Post
If you want to drop that high flying group, Id suggest trying WOLF*Gold*205gr*SP loading.

Most surplus 7.62x54r ammo in 147gr fmj which has a tendency of flying high.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 11-30-2014 at 12:43 AM.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #7

The simplest way to drop the group is to use a heat shrink tube and a small piece of copper wire. The heat shrink is a temporary fix. But it will get the gun on target so you can see if you want to proceed with more work. 203 gr Brown or silver bear ammo is good for testing. Once you decide you want to proceed with the rifle take the heat shrink off the front sight and cut the rear sight ramp down. Use an air cut off wheel to take most of the metal off. Then use a belt sander to make the ramp nice and pretty and do any fine adjustments. There are lots of tips and tricks to making a Mosin Nagant more accurate. Controlling barrel harmonics is the first thing you need to do. You can shim the barrel with cork gasket material.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #8

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Mosin Safeties are as useful as a politician. Just don't chamber a round until you are ready to shoot. If you change your mind after chambering, unload the round.

If you are insistent on using the safety, cock the bolt, use the first and middle fingers to retract the cocking piece and rotate the cocking piece with your left thumb. You are working against a strong spring, it requires strong fingers.... or you could just load when you are ready to shoot......

Carl Sagan

Old 12-01-2014, 04:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Mosin Safeties are as useful as a politician. Just don't chamber a round until you are ready to shoot. If you change your mind after chambering, unload the round.

If you are insistent on using the safety, cock the bolt, use the first and middle fingers to retract the cocking piece and rotate the cocking piece with your left thumb. You are working against a strong spring, it requires strong fingers.... or you could just load when you are ready to shoot......
Now I have the safety working it gets easier to use each time I use it. Once I discovered use would loosen up the safety I brought the 91/30 in the house. I turned the safety while I was watching TV or killing time. I have the safety working well enough to disengage the safety when I see a deer. I killed a big doe Wednesday 11/27. I managed to disengage the safety with three deer watching me.

I also tried out PPU 150 gr soft point ammo today. At a little more than 100 yards I hit a one inch square 2 of 4 shots. All 4 shots were within 3 inches of the center of the one inch square. I am confident I can make a neck shot at 100 yard with PPU 150gr soft points. I am going to stick with the 180gr soft points. I will get a box or two of the 150gr ammo when I find a free shipping deal for hard times.

I have tried PPU ammo for both my 270 and 30/06. PPU shoots as well as Winchester Super X ammo.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-01-2014 at 04:53 AM.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:17 AM   #10

I usually never pay any attention to the safety, Im more interested wither there is a round in the chamber and not feeding any more from the magazine when clearing the chamber.
Any weapon that chambers a round, the safest way to carry a weapon is with no round in the chamber.
wither its a Italian Carcano, Chinese Sks, High Standard Citation, Mossberg 500, Marlin model 60, Mosin Nagant, Savage 110, Ruger Mini14 or a Remington 522.
Empty the chamber every time.
Allot of folks have made a fatal mistake assuming a safety works 100%, 100 percent of the time, same for having a round chambered and bumping the bolt (1903 Springfield) on somthing and discharging the rifle.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 12-01-2014 at 07:20 AM.