$400 Garand Advice - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > $400 Garand Advice

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,092
Liked 216 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

I found a parts kit for $230 with everything except the receiver. For $300 I can get the whole kit with a new phosphate finish and a .308 barrel.
For $530 it's tempting.

__________________

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.

zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sputnik1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Bluegrass state
Posts: 2,877
Liked 714 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitsev44 View Post
Yeah I noticed that was a carbine sight. The seller was not the one that did all that to the rifle. He acquired it in a trade. With it being an International Harvester I am really tempted to talk him down as much as possible and return it to original military configuration.
It really looks like the rear sight 'ears' have been cut off and the receiver has been reprofiled and tapped for the carbine sight. This thing is little more than scrap at this point

Price the parts that are good and offer him that. It's the best he is going to get.
__________________
Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر
sputnik1988 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,676
Liked 2442 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Default

I'm with Sputnik. Since someone either broke the rear sight ears and went about grinding more off the receiver the thing is pretty much trash. If the receiver were unmolested, it might be worth it, but you aren't going to be able to fix that.

If a Garand is a dream gun, save for one that will at least live up to the dream, not one that will leave you regretting settling for a hack job.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,092
Liked 216 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
I'm with Sputnik. Since someone either broke the rear sight ears and went about grinding more off the receiver the thing is pretty much trash. If the receiver were unmolested, it might be worth it, but you aren't going to be able to fix that. If a Garand is a dream gun, save for one that will at least live up to the dream, not one that will leave you regretting settling for a hack job.
Ok thank you. I'll send him one last email making sure to see if the receiver had been ground into. If so then I will get a Mauser with the funds I was gonna use on it and then after that devote all my search for a nice $700-800 range WWII production Garand. Or wait a few months (or a year) for the CMP to get a few more in and get one for $525-600. Thank for all of your advice and opinions. I appreciate it and will be posting again with the receiver details. Thanks again.
__________________

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.

zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:37 AM   #15
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3377 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitsev44
Ok thank you. I'll send him one last email making sure to see if the receiver had been ground into. If so then I will get a Mauser with the funds I was gonna use on it and then after that devote all my search for a nice $700-800 range WWII production Garand. Or wait a few months (or a year) for the CMP to get a few more in and get one for $525-600. Thank for all of your advice and opinions. I appreciate it and will be posting again with the receiver details. Thanks again.
Good luck either way. You might want to see if James River Armory has anymore Garands, they were a bit more then $800 tho...
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:02 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,092
Liked 216 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
Good luck either way. You might want to see if James River Armory has anymore Garands, they were a bit more then $800 tho...
I checked James River Armory and they have Yugo M48 Mausers on a Christmas Special or $129. And then I looked at the Garands and saw they were $389. I'm 99% positive that this is a misprint or error, I emailed them verifying if that was a misprint so they would know to change it so they don't have 50 people emailing them about the Garands. I might pick up one of the M48s and either resell it and buy a vz24 or hang on to it.
__________________

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.

zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #17
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3377 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitsev44
I checked James River Armory and they have Yugo M48 Mausers on a Christmas Special or $129. And then I looked at the Garands and saw they were $389. I'm 99% positive that this is a misprint or error, I emailed them verifying if that was a misprint so they would know to change it so they don't have 50 people emailing them about the Garands. I might pick up one of the M48s and either resell it and buy a vz24 or hang on to it.
Oh, then I guess they are out of the Nat'l Match Garands that were $799 a few months ago...
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,092
Liked 216 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

My bad I misread their description. That's what they charge for you to send in your Garand and they pretty much refurbish it. But their Yugo Mausers are for sure $129 and the have Russian Capture K98s for $379.

__________________

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.

zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,887
Liked 3312 Times on 1907 Posts
Likes Given: 1412

Default

I would pass on it.

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zaitsev44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,092
Liked 216 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Default

He said that he doesn't see any signs of grinding or defacement. That it's just missing the dust cover. I requested more detailed pictures of the rear right

__________________

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Sir Winston Churchill
Americans love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. - General George S. Patton Sr.

zaitsev44 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Going to my First CMP "Garand" Match. Any Advice? Trez Competition Shooting 3 05-21-2013 02:13 AM
M1 Garand gunny134 General Rifle Discussion 2 12-13-2011 01:09 AM
How much does a M1 garand run XoneshotonekillX General Rifle Discussion 24 11-28-2011 01:53 AM
First day with my M1 Garand ArmyGuy Range Report 9 08-27-2011 03:07 PM
My first m1 garand roccoracer Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 1 08-14-2011 05:11 PM