Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   $400 Garand Advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/400-garand-advice-101586/)

zaitsev44 12-15-2013 02:06 AM

$400 Garand Advice

3 Attachment(s)
I ran across a $400 HRA M1 Garand on Armslist today. The reason it's so cheap is because some moron tried to turn it into a tanker model. It needs the op rod, barrel, gas tube, and some connector rod replaced. I've been wanting a Garand since I was 6 and because it'd be some good gunsmithing experience. He's in my area. All in all it'll be $300 in parts. He said if the total of the parts and rifle exceed $800 then he'll lower his price. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachment 129295

Attachment 129296

Attachment 129297

DrFootball 12-15-2013 02:12 AM

If the stock is in good shape and you can get the parts, and he's also working with you on the price,..then Y not? Just make sure you have all the tools you'll need and a solid work surface. Let me know if you need any Extra "Clips," I know someone who has some extra.....

zaitsev44 12-15-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball
If the stock is in good shape and you can get the parts, and he's also working with you on the price,..then Y not? Just make sure you have all the tools you'll need and a solid work surface. Let me know if you need any Extra "Clips," I know someone who has some extra.....

What tools would I need? I have pretty much anything and everything except heavy machinery like lathes and the like. I have a good bench and another one in the works that I'm gonna be reloading off of.

DrFootball 12-15-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaitsev44
What tools would I need? I have pretty much anything and everything except heavy machinery like lathes and the like. I have a good bench and another one in the works that I'm gonna be reloading off of.

I don't think you'll need the Lathe. A solid work surface, and a good set of 'Smithing screwdrivers, and punches..
Look In the Natchez Catalog/Website or Brownells....

Mercator 12-15-2013 02:30 AM

I am a little miffed by the seller's promise. If he is willing to lower the price conditionally, he can do it anyway.

I am also skeptical about buying a rifle someone messed up, sight unseen, for any money. Other than face to face, I would not do it. Sorry man honest answer.

zaitsev44 12-15-2013 02:34 AM

Correction. This is a 1951 International Harvester M1 Garand. Not a HRA. Sorry I misread the post.

zaitsev44 12-15-2013 03:56 AM

I will need a barrel vise ($25 on eBay), a barrel reamer, and a set of modified .30-06 Go-No Go gauges. Or I could bring it to my LGS gunsmith but that means spending more. But if not I'd have to buy the parts (which I will most likely use again).

sputnik1988 12-15-2013 04:00 AM

I am extremely concerned about the rear sight, it looks like the receiver has been heavily modified to accept an M1 carbine rear sight:mad:

If that's the case, I wouldn't give $100 for it and that guy should be hung in the streets.

zaitsev44 12-15-2013 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988
I am extremely concerned about the rear sight, it looks like the receiver has been heavily modified to accept an M1 carbine rear sight:mad: If that's the case, I wouldn't give $100 for it and that guy should be hung in the streets.

Yeah I noticed that was a carbine sight. The seller was not the one that did all that to the rifle. He acquired it in a trade. With it being an International Harvester I am really tempted to talk him down as much as possible and return it to original military configuration.

therewolf 12-15-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercator (Post 1459050)
I am a little miffed by the seller's promise. If he is willing to lower the price conditionally, he can do it anyway.

I am also skeptical about buying a rifle someone messed up, sight unseen, for any money. Other than face to face, I would not do it. Sorry man honest answer.

I agree with Mercator. I would move on. You can get a whole M1,

in unmolested condition, for that kind of money. Now, IF you are

going to complete the Tanker job, that's a different story...