Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > 30/40 carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 30/40 carbine

Photo shows my Krag that I purchased at a farm auction a few years ago. Sadly "bubba" got to the stock and cut about 1 1/2 inches off the butt. He then put a slip-on pad in place. The best thing I could think of to not damage it anymore was to just glue a leather pad in its place. What a shame as there are some very interesting markings on the old stock. In one area you can see where it has rubbed in a scabbard...perhaps when carrying it on horseback.

picture-483.jpg  

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 692 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 703

I so want a Krag..... (almost as much as a M1)

Is too bad about the stock..... Did they cut the barrel any? or change the front sight?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #3

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The only modifications were to the stock (that was bad enough). The rest of the rifle was left OK.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #4

Ive almost bought a couple of Krags.... Most Ive seen have had cut barrels / stocks, The last one I came across was nice, I almost got it, but had a cut stock and there were plugged holes in the receiver from a scope, it was only $200...

Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"Civilise 'em with a Krag!"

Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've always wanted a Krag, but I've never come across one . Too bad about the stock, but other than that she looks to be in good condition.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #7

So, do you go shoot the Krag? If so what do you think of it?

Theres a real nice Krag in a local shop, Its the best one ive seen so far, but its $1,000.
I was thinking of shooting my old Winchester a few more times and seeing if the shop owner would trade the Krag for my Winnie...

A guy on cregslist has the "bowie" style bayonet for the Krag as well.....