1917 Eddystone - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

1917 Eddystone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

OK here's a couple pics,

1917 Eddystone - Curio & Relic Discussion

1917 Eddystone - Curio & Relic Discussion

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 09-03-2009, 04:34 AM   #12
bb1

Actually the Eddystone is the least popular. The Winchester is the most popular and scarce.

The Eddystone is prone to breakage when the bbl is removed. Make a releif cut before unscrewing the bbl. It is a huge action. I have seen them in 505 Gibbs and 416 Rigby. I have them in 375 Ackley, 340 wby, 458 Win and 416 Rem.

There are several excellant works written on the.M 1917 "Hatchers Notebook", "Collectors Only" has an issue devoted to the P-13, P-14, M1917.You can Google 1917 Enfield.

Alvin York probably used an '03. His Division, the 82nd, was issued the 1917. He didn't like the sights. His son said ,in an interview, that he had "acquired" an 03 and used it well during his visit to France. There seems to be no proof either way.

Last edited by bb1; 09-03-2009 at 04:37 AM.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #13

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1 View Post
Alvin York probably used an '03. His Division, the 82nd, was issued the 1917. He didn't like the sights. His son said ,in an interview, that he had "acquired" an 03 and used it well during his visit to France. There seems to be no proof either way.
That's what I've read too. But in his own diary he wrote that when his unit got to LeHarve, France, they turned in their old rifles and were issued "British" guns. Since US troops weren't actually issued British rifles, and since US troops tended to refer to the M1917 by its origin (it looked almost identical to the British P14), the consensus is that he, like most Doughboys, was armed with the M1917.

The only thing even remotely close to proof is the diary, but there is not really concrete evidence either way. I guess I have to lean toward the 1917 because historically that's what he was supposed to be carrying and its also mentioned in his diary. One would think that if he went through the trouble of writing about the 1917 he would have also taken the time to write about the lengths he would have had to go through to get an '03. But that's just my opinion.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #14

Default 1917

contrary to posters the 1903 was in very short supply and 3/4 of the troops in france had 1917s.winchester made many and edistone made a great number.edistone was run by remington.I prefer the 1917 for the sights.and it takes 6 cartridges in the mage I have hade several the DCM sold them for $7.50 in early 60s. I got two and two 1903s at $10 and $15.
the troops near the french sectors got berthiers and those near the british got SMLEs.we were not prepared for any war because of the isolationist policys.we did not have MG so we used french Hotchkiss in 8 mm lebel also the chauchat auto rifle.the best is "the lost battalion"shows the weapons.

my father was a marine in france and so were his brothers.I have an iron cross with blood on it and a picture of the german my uncle killed.
actually a nice looking young man.

Last edited by WILDCATT; 09-13-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: add