Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > 1917 Eddystone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default 1917 Eddystone

I'm trading my Ballester-Molina for a 1917 Eddystone on Friday and i wanted to do some research on them first. I know its a good trade but I'd like to know a little before i jump in. Does anyone know of any good on-line sources for information on the Eddystone's and their markings and history???? As always, Thanks for any help!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This is an excellent resource for Military firearms:

Surplusrifleforum.com • Index page

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-30-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hey Gonzo, did you get the 1917?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I may or may not be a good deal. Need more info on the 1917
I never could warm up to them, they have to be the ugliest USGI rifle ever.
Let us know how you did

Old 08-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The eddystone is the more sought after of the 1917 rifles. Not sure why other than I don't think all that many we made. The 1917 is a military rifle that over all not many were made of. It is kind of a replacement or supplement to the 1903 Springfield. Remington made most of them and thus did a little tweeking to create their first big game rifle. The Model 30 and Model 30 Express were to say the least UGLY big action I am talking big enough to take on a 105mm Howitzer I think (Just Kidding). The 1917 could be a very accurate rifle. I have a 308 bench rifle on a 1917 action.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Hey Gonzo, did you get the 1917?
Yeah, I did get it. I'm headed to a Gun Show in a few minutes to try and sell my Ruger P944. When i get back I'll try to get some pics up. That is, if my 5 month old will allow it

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 08-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #7

I think it was a good deal, because those Ballester-Molina's aren't worth much, I traded a beat up CZ52 and some ammo for it. I see the Ballesters for around $250-300 all the time, plus the barrel on mine was pretty much shot up and kind of pitted. The Going Gun show Eddysone price is about $500-$650, so I'm happy.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The 1917 will shoot anything. It is much stronger than a 1903. I prefer aesthetics of the '03 looks over a 1917, but it's definitely more stout.

It is believed that Sargent Alvin York actually used a 1917, not a 1903.

Either way, shoot the heck out of it.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Mine started life as a 30-06 military rifle. Grandpa had it made into a bench gun in 300wm then he didn't like that so he remade it into the 308 that it is now. I had thoughts about slapping a new barrel on it in 6.5-284win.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The 1917 will shoot anything. It is much stronger than a 1903. I prefer aesthetics of the '03 looks over a 1917, but it's definitely more stout.

It is believed that Sargent Alvin York actually used a 1917, not a 1903.

Either way, shoot the heck out of it.

You're right about York