1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless

I just picked this little 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless .32 ACP up in a trade, externally it looks rough but the internals seem to be perfect. The bore is shiny and the rifling looks new. And all of the springs are strong and the gun is "very" tight. The grips aren't correct for the gun but that is minor. I plan on picking up a couple boxes of ammo and trying it out soon.

Do you all think there's anything I need to worry about?? I've inspected the gun thru and thru mechanically I can't see a thing wrong with it...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Except for the grips...shudder... it looks fine to me. Can't really tell because of the flash, but is all the finish gone? Mine's in the brown, but I like it. I've considered refinishing it but decided to leave it as is. I'm not concerned about the collector value, I plan to keep it.

Here's a page with serial number dates so you can check out the manufacture date if you don't know what it is.

It's a fun gun to shoot and it's a little peppy on the recoil. I'm using it as my main sidearm when out shooting. Considering how many were made, I guess the little old .32ACP must have been good for something, even though we now know for sure it's waaaaay too small of a caliber to actually, you know, be effective.

9x18=Makarov

Last edited by ScottG; 04-05-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

If you have ANY doubts, I'd have a gunsmith give it a going over. Other than that, nice acquisition.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Clean it, lube it, load it, shoot it. We'll expect pictures and a range report.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Clean it, lube it, load it, shoot it. We'll expect pictures and a range report.
Best advice I've seen all day!

I've been thru this little gun from to to bottom, I can't find any reason not to try it. So Im looking for some ammo now, I may have to order some. I haven't seen any .32 ACP around locally in a while.

As for the finish, I'm not sure. I believe it's just a really really crappy nickle plate as the little colt engraved on the slide is almost filled up as are a couple of the letters. I think nickle mostly because of the X scratched on the side, looks like somebody was checking it, and I'm not sure the steel would be soft enough to scratch that easy.

Is there a way to tell??

Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 AM   #6

Liked 1855 Times on 1038 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

Very cool gun! What did you have to give in trade, if you don't mind me asking?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Very cool gun! What did you have to give in trade, if you don't mind me asking?
Hmm well, let's just say I don't have much in it. To be honest, I didn't have any idea what it was worth and it looked terrible. Where as now I feel I got a better deal than I deserved. But it's with a friend that I trade with all the time, so I don't feel so bad. Kinda like playing poker, somtimes I get lucky but most time I loose my...

Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8926 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Fun little guns. Stay away from the +P+++++ golly-geewhilikers-super-duper plutonium nitrate ammo, and stick to standard .32 ACP. I used to load a single pellet of single ought buckshot over a mild load of Bullseye for a plinking load.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Check out a few of your local Walmarts. The couple in my area are starting to get the .32. Still can't find .38 or .357.

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Check out a few of your local Walmarts. The couple in my area are starting to get the .32. Still can't find .38 or .357.
Yep, you called it Scott! I stopped in the local Wally World this afternoon to pick up some stuff for an oil change. Low and behold there was one lone box of Winchester 71 gr FMJ's sitting on the shelf. The price was $18.89, don't know if that was good but I grabbed it. I'm good to go!