Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > 1896 swede mauser issue.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default 1896 swede mauser issue.

I tried opening the bolt when the safety was in the middle position and it wont work. Please help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1394 Times on 998 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I am sure not a mauser expert though I do have several, one being a Swede. If your bolt unlocks when the safety is moved to the left position then remove it and strip it and give it a good cleaning, oiling and inspection and go from there. If that doesn't work then you may have to remove the safety and do the same to it. I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge than myself will be along to give you better advice. Good luck.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Last edited by string1946; 12-17-2013 at 12:18 AM.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #3

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I recently got a M96 Swedish Mauser. The bolt on mine can only be opened when the safety is fully to the left; it will not open with the safety straight up. From what I have seen on various Mausers, the operation of the bolt varies from model to model. Some have a 3 position safety, while some have only a 2 position action. So far, the Mausers I have seen have used the fully to the left position as the "fire" position. Straight up and fully right are "safe" positions. Just for fun go to Youtube and see what is offered for operating info on the Swedish Mauser.

Last edited by JWagner; 12-16-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #4

Thanks it all makes sense now, I didn't know to much about early mausers.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #5

Liked 846 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 831

I just went & checked, none of mine will open with the safety straight up !..............

When all else fails.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:44 AM   #6

I was so mad when I got it home. I thought great now I have to fix it. Lol. The marking disc reads "0" on both bore and rust erosion. What a great find for $400!

Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusaddict View Post
I was so mad when I got it home. I thought great now I have to fix it. Lol. The marking disc reads "0" on both bore and rust erosion. What a great find for $400!
Pictures, I have never seen one with 0 in the bore wedge !.............

When all else fails.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I guess you never get too old to learn. I thought all Mauser safeties worked the same. I have 7, one being Swedish and all mine will allow the bolt to open with the saftey in the up or middle position.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #9

Ol Dummy Me !...........Yes they will, I was trying mine uncocked..........

When all else fails.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Ol Dummy Me !...........Yes they will, I was trying mine uncocked..........
LOL. Glad it was someone else this time. That usually the part I play. Yes thats the way mine works. cocked, left is fire, bolt unlocked, center safe with bolt unlocked, right safe bolt locked. uncocked left bolt unlocked, center bolt locked and will not go to the right position.

I'm going to have to learn how to read the stock disk. I knew how at one time but I think I lost it.