Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > 1861 colt navy????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1861 colt navy????

i have an 1861 colt navy revolver i was trying to figure out the maker and time period it was from. the serial number is stamped "97529" any help would be greatly appreciated as i cant wait much longer before i try and shoot this thing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8307 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Dennis- welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, stop by the intro thread and say howdy. In the meantime, we need some pictures, and ALL markings on the revolver. Like little squiggly lines called letters.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 AM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennistangen View Post
i have an 1861 colt navy revolver i was trying to figure out the maker and time period it was from. the serial number is stamped "97529" any help would be greatly appreciated as i cant wait much longer before i try and shoot this thing.
One other thing: Until you know exactly what you have, do NOT try to fire store bought ammo through it. It's an entirely different creature between modern ammunition and the old types.
This can cause the gun to have a violent reaction, and you won't like the results.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 199 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well---It's not an original. They were only serial numbered to 38,843.

It's almost surely Italian. There should be at least three small stamps
on the side of the frame or possibly under the barrel. They will tell
the maker and year.

I actually like the 1861 navy better than the 1851 navy. It just feels
better in my hand and seems to naturally point just a bit better.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
One other thing: Until you know exactly what you have, do NOT try to fire store bought ammo through it. It's an entirely different creature between modern ammunition and the old types.
This can cause the gun to have a violent reaction, and you won't like the results.
That's a BP gun. But the concept still applies, DO NOT put modern smokeless powder in that thing, ONLY black powder or BP substitute, and the sub aint modern smokeless!

If it's genuine, I wouldn't shoot it at all. I would save it, and buy a repro from Uberti to shoot with, they're pretty cheap too.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #6

its marked "asm black powder only made in italy" on underside of barrel, "connecticut valley arms inc." on topside of barrel, numbers "97529" on bottom of frame, "colts patent no. 7529 pat sept 10 1850" on side of revolver with a ship scene and "engaged 16 may 1843" on edge of revolver. it has a steel barrel and revolver with brass trigger gaurd, brass backstrap, and brass frame. also steel ram-rod. and its 36 cal. is all i know for sure. can post pics if still needed and do i have to make paper cartridges for it or can i still load the revolver with loose black powder?

thank you for all of your help

Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #7

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennistangen View Post
its marked "asm black powder only made in italy" on underside of barrel, "connecticut valley arms inc." on topside of barrel, numbers "97529" on bottom of frame, "colts patent no. 7529 pat sept 10 1850" on side of revolver with a ship scene and "engaged 16 may 1843" on edge of revolver. it has a steel barrel and revolver with brass trigger gaurd, brass backstrap, and brass frame. also steel ram-rod. and its 36 cal. is all i know for sure. can post pics if still needed and do i have to make paper cartridges for it or can i still load the revolver with loose black powder?

thank you for all of your help
Post pics if you would. It will help.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #8

Liked 71 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 28

ASM= Armi san Marco and imported by CVA, not very good quality. They had a bad reputation for soft internal parts that didn't last long. The brass frame won't hold up to heavy loads so keep them around 15 grains of powder. Yes you can use loose powder and either a lubed felt wad under the balls or a vegetable based lube over them. It will most likely take #10 caps but they vary by brand as to which will work best. If they fit too loose you can pinch them together some before you put them on for a tighter fit. Either .375 or .380 balls will work.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php