Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   1861 colt navy???? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/1861-colt-navy-50178/)

dennistangen 10-20-2011 01:14 AM

1861 colt navy????

i have an 1861 colt navy revolver i was trying to figure out the maker and time period it was from. the serial number is stamped "97529" any help would be greatly appreciated as i cant wait much longer before i try and shoot this thing.

c3shooter 10-20-2011 01:42 AM

Dennis- welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, stop by the intro thread and say howdy. In the meantime, we need some pictures, and ALL markings on the revolver. Like little squiggly lines called letters.

BenLuby 10-20-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennistangen (Post 605616)
i have an 1861 colt navy revolver i was trying to figure out the maker and time period it was from. the serial number is stamped "97529" any help would be greatly appreciated as i cant wait much longer before i try and shoot this thing.

One other thing: Until you know exactly what you have, do NOT try to fire store bought ammo through it. It's an entirely different creature between modern ammunition and the old types.
This can cause the gun to have a violent reaction, and you won't like the results.

BillM 10-20-2011 02:40 AM

Well---It's not an original. They were only serial numbered to 38,843.

It's almost surely Italian. There should be at least three small stamps
on the side of the frame or possibly under the barrel. They will tell
the maker and year.

I actually like the 1861 navy better than the 1851 navy. It just feels
better in my hand and seems to naturally point just a bit better.

trip286 10-20-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 605663)
One other thing: Until you know exactly what you have, do NOT try to fire store bought ammo through it. It's an entirely different creature between modern ammunition and the old types.
This can cause the gun to have a violent reaction, and you won't like the results.

That's a BP gun. But the concept still applies, DO NOT put modern smokeless powder in that thing, ONLY black powder or BP substitute, and the sub aint modern smokeless!

If it's genuine, I wouldn't shoot it at all. I would save it, and buy a repro from Uberti to shoot with, they're pretty cheap too.

dennistangen 10-20-2011 04:20 PM

its marked "asm black powder only made in italy" on underside of barrel, "connecticut valley arms inc." on topside of barrel, numbers "97529" on bottom of frame, "colts patent no. 7529 pat sept 10 1850" on side of revolver with a ship scene and "engaged 16 may 1843" on edge of revolver. it has a steel barrel and revolver with brass trigger gaurd, brass backstrap, and brass frame. also steel ram-rod. and its 36 cal. is all i know for sure. can post pics if still needed and do i have to make paper cartridges for it or can i still load the revolver with loose black powder?

thank you for all of your help

BenLuby 10-20-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennistangen (Post 606013)
its marked "asm black powder only made in italy" on underside of barrel, "connecticut valley arms inc." on topside of barrel, numbers "97529" on bottom of frame, "colts patent no. 7529 pat sept 10 1850" on side of revolver with a ship scene and "engaged 16 may 1843" on edge of revolver. it has a steel barrel and revolver with brass trigger gaurd, brass backstrap, and brass frame. also steel ram-rod. and its 36 cal. is all i know for sure. can post pics if still needed and do i have to make paper cartridges for it or can i still load the revolver with loose black powder?

thank you for all of your help

Post pics if you would. It will help.

Hawg 10-20-2011 06:21 PM

ASM= Armi san Marco and imported by CVA, not very good quality. They had a bad reputation for soft internal parts that didn't last long. The brass frame won't hold up to heavy loads so keep them around 15 grains of powder. Yes you can use loose powder and either a lubed felt wad under the balls or a vegetable based lube over them. It will most likely take #10 caps but they vary by brand as to which will work best. If they fit too loose you can pinch them together some before you put them on for a tighter fit. Either .375 or .380 balls will work.