Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > 1861 Colt Army Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 1861 Colt Army Revolver

Hello all,,,new member here with a question. I am a metal detector enthusiast, who enjoys relic hunting at Indian Wars sites. My hunting partner and I, while hunting the site of an 1867 fight between the US Army 5th Cavalry, and the Cheyenne Dog Soldiers at Summit Springs Colorado, found buried at a depth of approximately 11 inches, the above captioned revolver. The serial number is #130842.

There were no Army casualties, but many Cheyenne killed. The revolver was found at a place in the Indian encampment where it has been reported that a brave called Two Crows through his revolver into the creek bed to free his hands long enough to rescue several of his people. Thus...we believe this weapon to be the same, and to have been in Indian hands at that time.

We would love to be able to trace the history of this weapon to better understand how it got into the hands of the Cheyenne. Any suggestions or help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Besides here on the Forum, I can be reached at mr_cctv@msn.com.

Thank you........Chuck

summitspringscolt2-s-all.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This may be a helpful place to start:

ColtForum - Powered by vBulletin

Good luck. Please keep us informed how it goes.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

FWIW:

Your Post says 1861 Colt - But the Display says .44 cal -- 1861 Colt's were 36 caliber, 1860 Colts were .44cal. Still a Very Interesting find with a lot of History behind it I'm sure.

Good Luck on the Research

TJB

Old 05-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #4

I would advise getting a factory archive letter. Colt manages and actually has good records of most of their older guns. They can usually tell the options from factory as well as the original ship to address. They range in price from about $75 to $300 depending on the model, but I think it would certainly be worth it for something that old. I have posted a link below for additional factory letter information:

Colt Factory Letter Information
]