Yet another target stand ...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Yet another target stand ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Yet another target stand ...

We were looking to make something for hanging targets, like steel, or swinging bowling pins.

What we came up with is basically a large sawhorse.

Sawhorse brackets are only a few bucks at the big box places.
Add four legs (2x4s) and a crossbeam of whatever length and hang your targets with rope, string, or chains.

We used 8' legs, and a 10' 2x6 for the crossbeam. It all folds easily for storage, and the components are east to carry.

Next we'll hang a shelf for standing stuff and make some frames for regular targets.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
We were looking to make something for hanging targets, like steel, or swinging bowling pins.

What we came up with is basically a large sawhorse.

Sawhorse brackets are only a few bucks at the big box places.
Add four legs (2x4s) and a crossbeam of whatever length and hang your targets with rope, string, or chains.

We used 8' legs, and a 10' 2x6 for the crossbeam. It all folds easily for storage, and the components are east to carry.

Next we'll hang a shelf for standing stuff and make some frames for regular targets.
nice idea! and depending on how cheap you got the wood for, this would make a very budget friendly target holder. and a person could always vary the length of the legs to suit their needs.

excellent idea! thanks for sharing.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #3

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

If you all have any factories around you might be able to get wooden pallets we built a similar style of target stand all we used was a 4x4 across the top and a few 2x6's for legs and it worked pretty well. We actually got the wood for free because I worked for the company but you might be able to get it for cheaper then stock yard lumber.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear View Post
If you all have any factories around you might be able to get wooden pallets we built a similar style of target stand all we used was a 4x4 across the top and a few 2x6's for legs and it worked pretty well. We actually got the wood for free because I worked for the company but you might be able to get it for cheaper then stock yard lumber.
that's what i use for target holders are old pallets. i just attach a couple of boards to them to make them free standing. when they get shot up too much, i just replace them and throw the used up one on my burn pile.

i have mine spaced at 25, 30, 50, 75 and 100 yards. i have it marked at 5,7 and ten yards for the 25 yard target for pistol shooting.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1797 Times on 998 Posts
Likes Given: 5415

Since I don't have to move the target stand much, I also use a pallet for the base, two verticals and a cross bar screwed tight.
A piece of replaceable plywood holds stapled target.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #6

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

I make mine out of scrap stuff free standing a piece of plywood whatever size 2 boards however tall and 2 boards for feet nailed crossways lol not real strong, cheap and when they get shoot up good fire starting wood lol

Great idea OP!!!