Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Workbench setup (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/workbench-setup-48474/)

SmithKid308 09-19-2011 01:14 AM

Workbench setup

What would be a pretty basic setup for a workbench that I can re-load and still work on my guns and other things that would be kind of small and what are your basic tools for a work bench ?

Axxe55 09-19-2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmithKid308 (Post 582527)
What would be a pretty basic setup for a workbench that I can re-load and still work on my guns and other things that would be kind of small and what are your basic tools for a work bench ?

a lot of it will depend on how much room you have to work with. where are you going to put the workbench?

first suggestion, build it strong and anchor it to the wall or floor for stability. i build mine about waist high so they are at a comfortable level and about 24-26" deep, but really no more than 30" IMO. then go as wide as space permits. or as i have done several workbenches.

suarezcm 10-01-2011 02:11 PM

Weight

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 582552)
a lot of it will depend on how much room you have to work with. where are you going to put the workbench?

first suggestion, build it strong and anchor it to the wall or floor for stability. i build mine about waist high so they are at a comfortable level and about 24-26" deep, but really no more than 30" IMO. then go as wide as space permits. or as i have done several workbenches.

What about the weight of the bench? How many pounds is sufficient?

Axxe55 10-01-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suarezcm (Post 590597)
What about the weight of the bench? How many pounds is sufficient?

IMO, weight is not my key concern. to me constuction and mounting are way more important. build them from quality materials though. now if you have no means of being able to mount it and it has to be freestanding, how much weight is needed, to be honest i don't know. because all mine are mounted to the walls and floor. i build mine from 2x4s and 1x6s and use screws instead of nails and they are very sturdy even before i mount them to the wall and floor.

suarezcm 10-02-2011 02:33 PM

Thanx all

Great info!

Axxe55 10-02-2011 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:Dthis is my loading table that i built, using 2x4s and 1x6s. it is attached to the wall at the rear with 2x4s and attached to the floor by means of angle brackets. it is very sturdy. i moved from my office to my gun shed and its not very heavy. just an idea of what you can build. try a google search of reloading benches on the web. you will find lots of ideas on something that will suit your needs.

suarezcm 10-03-2011 12:49 PM

I likes!!

I Like the Look the setup and the Light...Nice job
Thanx Axxe55

phammily 10-11-2011 10:18 AM

Looks very nice

Axxe55 10-11-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phammily (Post 598857)
Looks very nice

thanks guys. i bought a 10x12 portable building earlier this year as i was running out of room in my office in the house. i didn't really want to move it to the garage as i have other projects i work on there. so i decided on a guns only dedicated area. so i bought the portable building. it's still a work in progress and may see different changes in the future.

phammily 10-11-2011 11:43 AM

Yea got a bench that I built with crap laying around from work but doesn't look good at all but one day will improve