Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Wanting to build AR or M

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Wanting to build AR or M

I am starting to look at building my own AR15 or M4, I have heard this is very easy to do and that most people can do it. Anyone have any experience? Also any reasons why I should go with AR or M instead of the other? I do know that the AR is more accurate but I much prefer the shorter M4. I am new I the "tactical" weapons I could use some advice. Thanks in advance everyone!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #2

Liked 1726 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 363

Both are going to be based on the AR15 design.

You can incorporate M4 features that the military incorporated as they shifted to the M4 Carbine.

Teh Beuty of the AR platform is that you can use the modularity of the removeable upper half to configure your rifle however you want for a given task. I would say that the carbine is probably more handy for genereal shooting fun, practicality, etc. versus the rifle configuration. But if you wanted an accuracy platform, you could build a second complete upper half that was made for that task. Then when you need it to be lighter, shorter and more handy, you just put your carbine upper back on.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts

Building an AR can be fun and can intimidating at first. By building one yourself gives you hands on experience of the AR mechanics.

There are many web sites available to guide you along and if you get stuck just ask.

I am building up a carbine for my son as we speak. My goal is budgeted at $650.00. It just takes time looking for deals on the parts.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #4

I also am building my first M4. So far so good. One issue. I want to use an original M4 barrel with the slots under barrel for the A-2 front sight. The hiccup, there is a muzzle break on it that doesn't appear to be welded and has to pin holding it. Is there some kind of epoxy? If so, what is the best way to remove it without damaging the brake or the barrel? Like he said, thanks in advance. My thought is to use a torch to heat the epoxy and take off the brake with a wrench. Any thoughts?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Resident Lurker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 669 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 1799

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMKR_Actual01 View Post
I also am building my first M4. So far so good. One issue. I want to use an original M4 barrel with the slots under barrel for the A-2 front sight. The hiccup, there is a muzzle break on it that doesn't appear to be welded and has to pin holding it. Is there some kind of epoxy? If so, what is the best way to remove it without damaging the brake or the barrel? Like he said, thanks in advance. My thought is to use a torch to heat the epoxy and take off the brake with a wrench. Any thoughts?
An actual M4 barrel is 14.5 inches and therefor falls under the NFA, a rifle must have a barrel of at least 16". By pinning and welding the flash hider or brake in place, this is considered part of the barrel because it isn't removable.

If it isn't welded, it isn't legal without a tax stamp

It is possible that it has been soldered, I'm not sure of the legality of that, but it could be removed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Last edited by sputnik1988; 05-13-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

The complete upper I purchased is giving me fits is getting the sights to align.

The gas block is not pinned and is skewed a little. Having that as the only place to attach a sling does not help keep it in alignment either.

As with other ventures, buyer beware.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC