Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Volquartsen Trigger Kit on 22/45 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/volquartsen-trigger-kit-22-45-a-58671/)

partdeux 02-24-2012 03:28 PM

Volquartsen Trigger Kit on 22/45

Rocks the world!

First time doing anything beyond surface and barrel cleaning. I had never even field stripped this firearm. Caused some minor repairable damage during dissassembly. Watched two different videos and had two different guides to lead me through the upgrade. Biggest problem, the reattachment of the barrel to the lower. Ruger requires you to hop on one foot and pray to the powder gods... or just follow their crazy instructions :)

Can't wait to shoot it, it is not the same firearm.

jmeekhof 02-24-2012 04:53 PM

I've been thinking of doing that to mine too. I take mine apart frequently though, so I am familiar with the breakdown. It gets much easier the more you do it. I can detail strip, clean, and reassemble mine in about the time it takes most people to field strip one their first time.

partdeux 02-24-2012 06:38 PM

It was learning afterwords that pushing on the springs allows the pins to easy slide out that would have made the job mucho easier. DO IT, it's an amazing improvement! If it's a MkIII, get the MkII kit and hammer bushing. That eliminates the idiotic mag issue.

jmeekhof 02-25-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux
It was learning afterwords that pushing on the springs allows the pins to easy slide out that would have made the job mucho easier. DO IT, it's an amazing improvement! If it's a MkIII, get the MkII kit and hammer bushing. That eliminates the idiotic mag issue.

I have heard that before. Good call

partdeux 02-25-2012 03:22 AM

shot it tonight... took the opportunity before the competition to realign my red dot. First shot out of the barrel was lucky to hit the target. I had my finger on the trigger beginning to squeeze as I was lining up. DOH, can't do that anymore, LOL. Newly replaced red dot is already giving me fits, so I pulled it for the competition. Got beat in the third round by a kid half my height... in my own defense I had an extremely disturbing call immediately before I shot. In the losers bracket, I went against the club champ. Not sure how he got there, but he was. We were all joking about how I should save the ammo, and not even shoot. Little did they realize that I had a bad round in the magazine, first round. It took me several cycles of the bolt to get my gun cleared out. Never did get a round fired!

I have it adjusted very tight, maybe a bit too much. Going to take some getting used to, but it sure is a sweet feel.

jmeekhof 02-25-2012 02:25 PM

Exciting. I want to do mine now!

partdeux 02-26-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmeekhof (Post 719926)
Exciting. I want to do mine now!

just look at the springs... the pins are retained by spring legs. That is probably the biggest learning item.

if it's a Mk 3 or 22/45 remove the damn bolt detent too :)

jordan89 02-26-2012 05:41 AM

Where did you get the trigger kit?

This thread makes me want to upgrade mine.

partdeux 02-27-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan89 (Post 720806)
Where did you get the trigger kit?

This thread makes me want to upgrade mine.

Brunnell. their prices were pretty typical. Midway had one of the triggers on sale, and said it was back orderable. If you have the mkIII, get the mkII kit with the hammer bushing. That allows you to eliminate the mag release issue. Also pull out the bolt detent.