Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > US Springfield model 1903 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

This post is coming late but I hope that you have done nothing to modify / refinish your Springfield. Springfield manufactured a sporter version of the
Springfield Rifle for a short time that looked like the rifle you have. They had I believe a Lyman Model 48 rear sight on the rear receiver bridge. Springfield was stopped from making these because the government was in competition with private industry, not an acceptable thing. Not many of these were produced but they did have star gauged barrels. In any condition these are highly desirable; but unmodified and in excellent condition they bringing prices from a collector that are out of sight. Someone in an earlier thread mentioned $7,000 and I would agree with that or more. UNMODIFIED MEANS ORIGINAL FINISH ON THE STOCK!!! Refinishing the stock could literally cost thousands in value. The only thing you should do this rifle is keep it clean, keep it oiled down and don't "ding" the stock or metal. The next thing is to go on line and Google Springfield Sporters and researcch them. You should be able find out all the information on your rifle to correctly identify it. Sonewhere there is probably a list of serial numbers that that Springfield Armory used in the production of the sporters.

Another very collectable Springfield is the T model or Target. Very few people are aware that Springfield even produced such a model. Today the ongoing "craze" seems to center more on modern military weapons like M16's, M1's, ak's sks's, etc., and that is understandable. But campare the quality of manufacture of a "Springfield" Springfield Rifle, work the bolt, look at the quality machine parts and then compare them to the stampings and castings and cost saving measure used in modern military firearms you will get a real appreciation for the former. This in no way is intended to condem modern military firearms and there are a lot of coutom builders that are making them into super firearms with tack driving accuracy. This is like compaing classical to contemoprary, each has its proponents and some like them all.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That's a good looking rifle. In my opinion too much is being made of "in original military condition" in today's world. The only thing accomplished by storing a gun in a safe is to allow the metal to crystallize and bluing to oxidize in total darkness. Those people forget that the purpose of a gun is to be shot and to shoot well. Likewise way to much is being made of scopes and 400 yard accuracy. Most game in the Northeast US is sighted a lot closer than that where iron sights work both quicker and just as well. I suspect your grandfather knew that. If I could afford a Springfield rifle like that and stumbled upon it, I would probably buy it.

Forty years ago I met a man, an old man, a World War I vet. I met him at a butcher near Tannersville, NY to which a friend and I had brought a deer we had killed. The old man was there for the same reason. His rifle was more or less just like yours. He told us that during WWI he had carried a Springfield, and sometime in the 20s he bought that one and had it sporterized with the peep sight and the shorter stock. He told us he never felt the need to replace it. I guess not.

We had killed our deer with a shoulder to heart shot. His was hit hit in the back of the skull. We learned it was a running shot at about 100 yards and he had timed the shot to coincide with the jump. Its forty years and many rifles later and I still lack enough confidence to try a shot like that casually. Speaking to the butcher later we learned the old timer brought in two or three deer a year and had been doing that for decades since the butcher's father first began his business in the area. To the butcher's recollection almost all of the man's deer were head shots. Always with the same rifle.

I learned something that day. Beware the man who has only one gun. He is probably pretty good with it.