Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > tuning trigger on marlin 60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20865 Times on 11859 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Quote:
Originally Posted by m82mike View Post
This month's 'American gunsmith' has a very good article on working the 60's
trigger. firing mech. comes out in one unit and can not be disassembled by
the public. ( it takes a special jig to line every thing up properly.)
Article tells how to drill thru side of unit to get to points needing work.

HTH, Mike
welcome to the forum mike! stop over in the introductions section and say hello.

is the ' American Gunsmith' a website? as i am curious about this modification for my M60 Marlin, and would love to learn more about it.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #12

American Gunsmith has a website, but is also a monthly publication.

It is a sister publication to 'Guntests'

Mike

Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nonsense! I've had the lower receiver apart without a jig. You just have to make sure the piece inside the hammer spring has some sort of pin in it BEFORE!!! You take it apart. And also be sure to keep track of the e-clips, cause they're easy to loose. And most of all... Go slow (so you can remember how everything goes back together.) oh and good idea about the dog tag link, ill try it out if mine ever "slacks-out"

Old 01-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagenodland View Post
On tuning the trigger how would you do it mine isn't very gritty but it has alot of takup
I've heard you cut 1 coil off of the hammer spring to lighten it
But how do you eliminate the take up?
Trigger pre-travel has been successfully reduced by adding a set screw in the top of the trigger where it makes contact with the disconnector. This also makes it adjustable. Trigger pull weight can be reduced by cutting a new angle on the sear, I've done several and prefer this method. Some have been successful tuning the pull by bending the springs and/or clipping the hammer spring a little. My 60 became unreliable with tweaked springs which is what lead me to working the sear.

If you need accurate rimfire information the best forum is Rimfire Central, the link below is for the Marlin semi-auto rifles (like the 60, 795 & other variants), but they cover nearly everything else rimfire too.

Marlin Semiautomatic - RimfireCentral.com Forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m82mike View Post
This month's 'American gunsmith' has a very good article on working the 60's
trigger. firing mech. comes out in one unit and can not be disassembled by
the public. ( it takes a special jig to line every thing up properly.)
Article tells how to drill thru side of unit to get to points needing work.

HTH, Mike
No drilling or special jig required to work on a Marlin semi-auto action assembly (60, 795, 99M1 etc.). All you need is the proper procedure and it comes apart without any surprises.

I did find this article. "Working Marlin’s Model 60 Successfully By Frank Fry" I don't think it's the one you're referring to because it's well over a year old and doesn't mention any modifications. A link to American Gunsmith and/or to the article would be nice if you have one or both. I'm curious as to what and why they're drilling.

Last edited by MidnightExpress; 01-14-2012 at 10:01 PM.