Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Teenagers Weatherby project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
RGH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Teenagers Weatherby project

Greetings, Gentlemen,

Was the year 1955. I was very fortunate to belong to a small group of friends who shared their love of shooting, reloading, and building of fine rifles. Earlier in 1952, my high school industrial arts teacher, Herb Ralston, came to me one day and said " I think you should meet a few men that share your same interests". He introduced me to the group. Fine bunch of fellows, and we hit it off instantly. There was Charlie Brown, watchmaker and gunsmith. Levi Thomas,big game hunter. Homer Powley, chemist,shooter, and inventor. Miller Bedford, shooter and businessman. Sorry to say, they have all passed. I was the youngest of the group. Writing this brings back many memories.

They used to kid me about my little 257 R pop gun. That got me to thinking about maybe it was time for something bigger. Why not a .300 Weatherby. I read alot about it and was infatuated. This would be it.

Ran across an excellent 1917 Enfield (Eddystone) for $35.00. I picked the Enfield because it was the strongest of the military actions. I wrote to Roy Weatherby about renting his chambering reamers. He sent me the reamers and two cartridges. Only charged $20.00 plus deposit.

Bausch & Lomb just came out with the Balvar 8. Bought the scope and mount for $156.00, if my memory serves me. Adjustments were in the mount. At the time I saw no problem with that. From Herters I got a muzzle brake. Didn't know what recoil to expect and didn't want the scope in my spectacles. The brake was chambered with two rearward facing slots in the top. Niedner steel grip cap and butt plate. Always liked the looks of them.
Flush mounted quick detachable sling swivels. Found a beautiful 3" chunk of marble walnut for the stock from Kindig in Lodi, Ohio.

While I was gathering up all this stuff, Charlie faced the bolt, chambered the original barrel, with 3/4" freebore, and installed the muzzle brake for me. Did a fantastic job.

My turn. Reshaped bolt handle. Opened up and lengthened magazine well for larger cartridges. Lengthened magazine. Cut and welded lower iron to remove step. Shortened action screws to raise lower stock line. Modified trigger assembly to my adjustable design. Ground rear sight ears off and reshaped receiver bridge. Welded plug in oval hole in top off bridge. Drilled and tapped for scope mount. Shortened ejector and reshaped tang end of receiver. Made push button floor plate release. Changed to cock on opening. Jeweled bolt and extractor. Blued in my tanks with my father's formula, which I can no longer remember.

Spent next couple months inletting wood. Fits like it grew on the steel. Shaped stock, installed grip cap, butt plate, finished with Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. Checkered in fluer de lis design.

Put it all together and ready for testing. Fired twenty 300 H&H Magnums to get some fire formed Weatherby cases for reloading. Loaded with 150 grain Jordan soft swaged bullets, 86 grains IMR 4350, magnum primers. Supposed to go over 3600 fps. We didn't have a cronograph back then. I made an agreement with the group that I wouldn't shoot it until all were present. Done..... 1956.

Later I had to decrease powder charge, as I could only get one or two reloads before the primer hole enlarged too much to hold the primer.

The group was gathered at our 400 yard range to witness their first Weatherby expererience. The rifle had only been bore sighted, so targets were out of the question. A large clump was visible at about 350 yards. Would shoot for that. The quickness that the bullet arrived at it's destination was incredible compared to what we were used to. Levi and Homer wanted to fire it. Charlie wouldn't. They were really impressed. Levi wanted one built for hunting. Homer wanted one built for Camp Perry. (DETAILS SAVED FOR A LATER AND MORE INTERESTING STORY)

I spent the rest of the season trying to get the accuracy from this rifle that I got from the Type 1, but couldn't achieve it. Best was 1 1/4" at 200 yards. After a couple hundred rounds, I noticed the zero was wandering. I found the cones that the scope tube rested on were pounding dents in the tube. Bausch & Lomb told me that couldn't happen and they wouldn't do any thing about it. I used it like that for a few more years then replaced it with a Williams Twi-Light 2 x 6. I Liked Balvar's optics better, but the Twi-Light will get the job done.

Boy, I love these old guns.....
RGH

Last edited by RGH; 10-03-2010 at 11:53 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2010, 05:07 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I LOVE those old Bolt Actions, too!

I was a .300Wby guy for years, but sold my last one about 5 years ago. Yours is sure beautiful, though.

Might work a trade for another one pretty soon.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #3

that is a heck of a fine looking rifle you built there!

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
RGH

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Greetings, M14sRock, dickyo331,

Thank you for the kind words, fellows.

Boy, I love these old guns.....
RGH

Last edited by RGH; 10-07-2010 at 02:46 PM.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That is incredibly beautiful! Keep showing us your work.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I saw this when you first posted it. I can't believe I didn't comment.

That's a beautiful rifle and a great story. Thanks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this seems an appropriate place to post the diamond in the rough 300 Weatherby I scored today for $100 that came from your neck of the woods. It is built off a Remington P14 action, with a beatifully figured piece of walnut. It weighs a rather rotund 13 pounds, with a heavy barrel fitted with a Johnson automatics brake.

weather.jpg  

Last edited by 300Weatherby; 10-22-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300Weatherby View Post
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this seems an appropriate place to post the diamond in the rough 300 Weatherby I scored today for $100 that came from your neck of the woods. It is built off a Remington P14 action, with a beatifully figured piece of walnut. It weighs a rather rotund 13 pounds, with a heavy barrel fitted with a Johnson automatics brake.
Very cool!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."