Teenager's Type 1 project
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Teenager's Type 1 project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
RGH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Teenager's Type 1 project

Greetings, Gentlemen,

Let me tell you a story of my youth that may bring back memories to the old codgers of this forum.

In the year 1952, I was 16 at the time, I went to visit my Dad. There was a junk barrel in his shop. Discarded in this barrel was a Japanese Type 1 receiver, partial bolt, and magazine floor plate assembly. I asked if I might have it. Dad said he didn't know what I would want it for, but I was welcome to it.

In those days, we didn't have the internet to scrounge for parts. So it took me about a year to find all the parts I would need to complete my little rifle project. Rest of small parts for action. Johnson featherweight (Timkin Alloy) barrel. Lyman Alaskan 2 1/2 power scope. Litschert 6 power Varmint Master scope attachment. Echo side mount for Carcano. Trigger guard from old 10 gage shotgun(lots of room for gloves).

I had a dear friend and mentor back then that helped guide me in my machining skills as well as my social skills. His name was Charles Brown, an extraordinary watch maker and gunsmith. I think of him often.

I used Charlie's lathe to machine the barrel. Shortened to 20". Crowned muzzle. Threaded and fitted to receiver. Chambered to .257 Roberts.

Bent bolt handle to clear scope. Drilled and tapped receiver for Echo side mount. Designed and made adjustable trigger. At this time I made whatever modifications were neccessary for flawless cartridge feeding. Blued in my own tanks using my Fathers blueing formula, which I can no longer remember.

I got the maple plank from a lumber company just up the street from where I lived. It was hard maple and measured 3" x 12" x 48". I got it when I was 15 years old and used part of it on my 45/70 that was mentioned in another thread. The piece that was left went under my bed for future use.

Future use was the Type 1. Band sawed to shape, the spent months inletting it. The wood fits the steel like it grew there. Finished shaping, sanding, installed grip cap, forend tip, and inlays. Birch Wood Casey Tru-oil finish. 10 # pressure at 6 o'clock between barrel and fore end tip.

I had a 200 yard range set up for my private use. This is where I would fine tune my new rifle. The bullet used was Jordan soft swaged 87 grain.
Bring back memories, fellas? Back then we were somewhat limited to powders available. I used IMR 4320 @ 43.5 grains. After getting it on the paper I was disappointed at the results. 10 shot groups at about 3". I dropped the powder charge .5 grains at a time for 2 times. No improvement.

The range was quite far from my home and took a while to get there. This screwing around took about a week. Went to talk to Charlie about it and tell him of my frustration. He only had words of encouragement. He told me not to give up, but keep trying, as I had to be close.

Dropped the charge to 42 grains and tried again. The air was still that day.10 shots @ 200 yards. A quarter covered all the holes with nothing showing. The barrel got hotter than hell firing that string. Melted my car seat in a long spot. Couldn't wait to tell Charlie and thank him for his faith in me. Done...1954.

About 5 years ago, my wife and I were discussing this rifle. I said, let's see if it still shoots. Loaded some fresh cartridges. Had to use Sierra 75 grain bullets. Didn't have any IMR 4320, so used 40 grains 4064. Only range we could use was limited to 100 Yards. Fired 2 rounds. Left a figure 8 hole approximately 3/16" center to center. I turned to Wifey with a grin, and exclaimed " it still shoots!"

I used the Type 1 for woodchucks untill I made one of the first 300 Weatherby's in my area the following year. But that is another story.

Boy, I love these old guns.....
RGH

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9163 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

BEAUTIFUL rifle- and not hard to tell- a labor of love!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #3

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

That is really nice. Really nice. Outstanding job.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a great story and a beautiful rifle. Thank you for sharing it with us.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-02-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Awesome story and a wonderful rifle!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That warms my heart. Thanks for it!

Old 10-02-2010, 03:23 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Wow. Simply beautiful.

Can we have the .300 Weatherby story? Please?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Great looking/shooting rifle! Great skill building it at such an early age too!

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A very nice rifle and what a story!
I only know one guy that even has a 257 Roberts anymore. It was his grandfathers. I am praying that he don't sell it but he has squired demons that don't lend themselves well to keeping nice things around the house.

Anyway, you should be proud of the work you have done. I love hearing stories like this.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
RGH

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Greetings, Gentlemen,

I honestly appreciate the flowers. Thank you.

Boy, I love these old guns.....
RGH