Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Tactical SHTF Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Tactical SHTF Weapon

Hey Folks,

My current project that i'm working on is kinda cool/stupid to some people, but let me know what you think.

Primary Weapon:
Weapon: Remington 700 SPS .308.
Attachment: MDT TAC-21 Black Chassic.
Foldable Bipod, Foldable Grip, UTG Flashlight and Laser(Green)
Rear Flip up Magpul Sight and Front Magpul Flip up Sight
Rex 3x9x40 Scope
Regular M4 Buttstock(For now).

Why is this setup? I think this setup by far on my opinion is the best for me.

When in a SHTF Senario, if you're enemy is far away, you can use the rifle as long range rifle with the scope on to take down the enemy.

When in a close range Senario, Take off the scope and use the front/rear flip up sight for close combat.

The caliber itself are good for taking down target, Yes... it gonna be alot of recoil and slow, but you can always switch out your secondary weapon.. Handgun.

Let me know what you think.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

You know what's best for you, but, of all things wouldn't a 10/22 be the best, or an AR with both a 22 lr and a 223 upper? I don't think that a 700 is a bad idea, I just don't think it's the best, personally.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 07-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrangTuan
Hey Folks,

My current project that i'm working on is kinda cool/stupid to some people, but let me know what you think.

Primary Weapon:
Weapon: Remington 700 SPS .308.
Attachment: MDT TAC-21 Black Chassic.
Foldable Bipod, Foldable Grip, UTG Flashlight and Laser(Green)
Rear Flip up Magpul Sight and Front Magpul Flip up Sight
Rex 3x9x40 Scope
Regular M4 Buttstock(For now).

Why is this setup? I think this setup by far on my opinion is the best for me.

When in a SHTF Senario, if you're enemy is far away, you can use the rifle as long range rifle with the scope on to take down the enemy.

When in a close range Senario, Take off the scope and use the front/rear flip up sight for close combat.

The caliber itself are good for taking down target, Yes... it gonna be alot of recoil and slow, but you can always switch out your secondary weapon.. Handgun.

Let me know what you think.
My only comment is, rather than taking off the scope for close quarters, which can be time consuming and not very practical (you never know when you're going to need to try a longe range shot), have you thought about side mounted iron sights at all? Best of both worlds, IMO.

Something like this (not my picture, found in a Google search):

image-2970106942.jpg

Always have clean socks.

FullautoUSA Likes This 
Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
You know what's best for you, but, of all things wouldn't a 10/22 be the best, or an AR with both a 22 lr and a 223 upper? I don't think that a 700 is a bad idea, I just don't think it's the best, personally.
Well for a SHTF Senario, I don't think a 10/22 is effective, even if i start out shooting i always start out with big caliber. Since im a millitary person, i don't like .22 caliber to be honest with you.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7823 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 10063

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrangTuan View Post
Well for a SHTF Senario, I don't think a 10/22 is effective, even if i start out shooting i always start out with big caliber. Since im a millitary person, i don't like .22 caliber to be honest with you.
How do you feel about 5.56 caliber?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 956 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Here's what the military has found from actually using their weapons in Iraq and Afghanistan:

1. The M4 carbine that everyone poo-poos is more or less universally well liked by the people who actually use them every day. It's light, compact, and if you shoot someone in the center of the chest with it, they're gonna have a really bad day. Yes, there have been instances where people have been shot with it and didn't fall down dead. There have been instances where people have been shot with .50 BMG and didn't fall down dead. So what?

2. In wide open spaces such as the mountains of Afghanistan, the 7.62 NATO round works better than the 5.56 NATO round. On that note, .50 BMG works better than 7.62 NATO, unless you have to carry the rifle and ammunition. Shocking, but true.

3. Semi-automatic sniper rifles are a better idea if you have to engage multiple targets quickly or the engagement window or distances are short or long enough, respectively, that you may miss your target with the first shot.

4. Formally trained snipers are more capable than squad marksmen and have different equipment requirements because they can and do attempt things that sharpshooters could not or would not. A bolt action rifle may be a requirement in some instances for a sniper whereas a squad marksman could live with the slight accuracy loss inherent to a semi-automatic rifle. In other words, leave your Remington 700 at home and buy something like a M-14 or SCAR-H if you are not a trained sniper.

5. High explosives work better than bullets. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, civilians aren't allowed to have 40MM grenade launchers, mortars, or artillery.

6. Air and/or artillery support are important if you run into a unit with numerical superiority or greater firepower. Again, civilians don't generally have air or artillery support.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 645 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Get an ar in a larger caliber such as 6.8 spc or 6.5 Grendel then have an eotech with a 3x magnifier on a slide to the side setup for both long and short range abilities you can also have back up iron sights for co witnessing. I was a squad designated marksmen in Iraq and was given a vintage m14 with a cheap ass scope and no way to mount the thing(the humble beginnings of the sdm program) basically I made friends with a guy in the local sf group who at the time has an unlimited army budget who basically retrofitted my m14 into a beast which was capable of longer shots than I was. Unless you are a trained sniper you have no need of taking any shot in excess of 500 meters especially stateside in a shtf situation so a bolt action rifle with a small magazine capacity is just not necessary the ar platform is versatile and has so many gadgets and gizmos available that it is the best all around weapon platform I'd say buy either one of the calibers I listed above and maybe save up for a second upper in 5.56 just because of ammo availability. You do not want to remove a scope and reattach it because a small change in placement can totally throw off your zero.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #8

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I think the 700 is not a good shf gun unless you were planning on hiding up in the hills and hunting for your food. Usually when shf your trying to avoid people to get out of some place or defending some place you are planning on staying. Either way your going to want a gun that will shoot faster then a bolt action. But will say this. Everyone lives in a different area. Some live in the city, some the country and some in the suburbs. Only you can really decide what you need or work with what you have. I'm taking my Ar15 carbine and wife is taking the sks.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1741 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I think the 700 is not a good shf gun unless you were planning on hiding up in the hills and hunting for your food. Usually when shf your trying to avoid people to get out of some place or defending some place you are planning on staying. Either way your going to want a gun that will shoot faster then a bolt action. But will say this. Everyone lives in a different area. Some live in the city, some the country and some in the suburbs. Only you can really decide what you need or work with what you have. I'm taking my Ar15 carbine and wife is taking the sks.
If you are hiding in the hills and hunting for your food, you will quickly find that high power rifles are way to noisy and will bring 2 legged predators. Get a bow or suppressed low velocity rifle for that situation. If it wasn't such a pita to get a suppressor I would have one on my 357 rifle. A 200 grain lead bullet at 1000 fps would be pretty deadly at short range. So would a 300 Blackout and that would be available on an AR.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 08-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #10

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

One thing I would be worried about as far as having a large bolt action rifle is you will more likely be shooting smaller game for survival then bigger game.