Swapping barrels on a Savage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Swapping barrels on a Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Default Swapping barrels on a Savage

This thread will be pic heavy,so try to hold on before replying.

Savage rifles are like adult lego systems,if you have the correct tools,anyone with any mechanical ability can change out the calibers in a matter of minutes in their shop/gun room.
I have a Savage 12 FLV in 308,that's always been a great gun,but just never shot as good as my 10 FCP in 308.I got in on a group buy on some E.R. Shaw varmint contour barrels in 6.5mm and 7mm calibers.
While these barrels aren't my first choice in an aftermarket barrel,for the price,I couldn't pass up the deal

I ordered a 7mm-08,and a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel to swap out on this action.
Now it has taken forever to get the 7mm-08 barrel,I ordered these back in March 2012,and the 6.5 barrel is suppose to arrive in another month or so.

Onto the swap,First check the weapon and make sure it is unloaded,and remove the bolt.
Since the rifle has a Weaver rail and optics on it,they need to be removed.

You can see why the rail and optics need to be removed,the rail overhangs the barrel nut,and unless you want to modify the Barrel Nut Wrench,you can't get the nut loose.

With everything off the action,you can take the action/barrel out of the stock.
I always wrap the receiver with electrical tape to keep it from getting scratched/marred from the Action Wrench

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

With the Action/Barrel assembly out of the stock,Take your Action Wrench,and install it onto the action,making sure the Recoil Lug is positioned into the slot of the wrench
I forgot to take a pic,before I removed the factory barrel,but you can see the wrench on the action,the Barrel Nut wrench,and a 3lb Deadblow hammer.

It usually takes a couple good whack's with the hammer to break the nut loose.Once you break it loose,you'll need to loosen the Action wrench bolts in order to unscrew the barrel out of the action.(If you forget to do this,the barrel will not unscrew)

Here's the Shaw 26" Varmint contour barrel with a new Stainless barrel nut,and a .250 thick Recoil lug.
I had to polish the barrel nut,these are brand new Savage nuts,just look how bad the bottom one looks,even has surface rust on it.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Alright,Now clean the action threads really good,and screw on the barrel nut on the new barrel,then install the recoil lug.
Screw the new barrel onto the action,it should screw on freely if everything is clean.

I always set the headspace with out the Action wrench,and when it's good to go,I'll put the wrench on the action,and check the headspace again with both the Go/No Go gauges.Then I tighten the barrel nut down.
Recheck the headspace again,and your good to go.

With the Go gauge,your bolt should close all the way,but have a small amount of resistance at the end.

With the No-Go gauge,the bolt should stop well before closing.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Once you have the headspace set,put the action wrench back on the action,and then tighten the barrel nut.I always leave the Go gauge in the chamber when doing this.

Now wipe down everything,and reinstall the action/barrel into you stock.
If you are putting a bigger diameter barrel/contour on your action,you will probably need to relieve the stock for the barrel to fit.

After tightening the action bolts to their correct torque specs,check the barrel for clearance on the stock,and then I make sure it is free floated to the barrel nut.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

After everything is looking good to go,reinstall the scope base/rail,and the scope. Boresight the scope,and your ready to go shootin'

Oh,you will need to give the barrel a good scrubbing before you fire the first shot.
If you break in your new barrels fine,if you don't that's fine too.
Personally,I always do a break in.

THB

Old 08-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #6

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Thanks TX, that's the best explanation of how to change the barrel in a Savage I've seen including over on the Savage Shooters forum.

Just realized you're a southpaw! I shoot left handed also.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Exactly what I'm doing with my 114 ultra in 7STW and my model 12 in 22-250. They are getting shilen select match barrels in yes 7STW and .260 Remington.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5648 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

worthy of stickiness

just remember that when using go/nogo/field gages the ejector needs to be removed.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Hillbilly, i reread this thread. excellent post! very informative and very detailed.

i also felt a worthy post like this needs a little bump!

Old 02-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 230 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
Exactly what I'm doing with my 114 ultra in 7STW and my model 12 in 22-250. They are getting shilen select match barrels in yes 7STW and .260 Remington.
Just ordered the same barrel in 260 myself. If you finished, may I ask what type of groupings? load data?