Stock refinishing

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Stock refinishing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stock refinishing

Wanted to ask if there is a few folks who have refinished stocks for a Mosin nagant 91-30 . I want to start by using 100 grit paper and move up to 500 grit be for adding clear varnish and a lacquer clear coat. I want to go with a natural wood grain finish. Does this sound like a good way to do it. Any tips are helpful.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Hey Jim, seems like you are embarking on a worthy project. There is a thread about this very same thing with lots of good ideas and pics. I'm sure some of those guys will chime in on your thread. If you are impatient just search the data base.

Also I noticed this is your first post, welcome to the forum. I would incourage you to go to the introductions section so you can get a proper howdy and a slap on the back. Again welcome, ds

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

Your plan is basically sound, but I would change the finish of choice. Spar varnish would be better.

"I'd rather die on my feet than to live on my knees." E. Zapata

Old 01-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the help. I have gotten the old finish off, Now need to get the rest of the cosmo out of the wood. I have been using a hair but I have noticed that it really doesnt get hot enough to sweat it out. Cant fit it in the oven and dont have a fireplace to hang it in front of. Is there a chemical degreaser that wont harm or stain the wood?

Old 01-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #5

Whiting. Check out Brownells or Midway for it.

"I'd rather die on my feet than to live on my knees." E. Zapata

Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I know I'm gonna get some negative feedback on this but here it is anyway

I have used Easy Off oven cleaner with great success... Used properly and paying attention not to let it sit for very long, will not harm the wood in any way. I've restored many milsurps using this process.. Others I've been able to slip into the dishwasher for a good cleaning but for the long stocked rifles, the Easy Off has been the ticket... I let it sit for around 30 mins then wash down with "hot" water.. I let it dry for a bit then check to see if another application is needed. Most times, the cosmo will be gone after the first try but I have had some that needed a second round with the spray cleaner.

I use the unscented variety since I do this in a downstairs shower (spare bathroom) and don't want to smell the place up or get the wife mad at me

I finish off my stocks with a hand rubbed BLO finish (boiled lindseed oil).

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"