Steel to shoot
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Steel to shoot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Steel to shoot

Is there different types of steel that you can shoot, or does it just matter on the width of the steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used to hang 1/2" cold rolled for muzzleloader, 22 LR

and handgun with lead or soft nose. They worked okay with 3030 and 3006 but 3/4" to 1" cold rolled lasted lots longer with the rifles.

223 wore em out and holed em durn quick.

AR 500 or equivalent armor steel plate lasts the longest. But if you restrict yourself to lead or lower velocity Jacketed soft nose handgun the cold rolled was fine.

I just went to the steel shop, had em plasma cut holes in scrap chunks and hung em on chain from a steel pipe supported by a couple wood posts.

We hung them at 50, 100 and 300 yards. Natch, the 300 yard ones lasted longest even with the 223 and 3006 and not entirely because the long range ment more misses!

Finally Home, NC

Old 04-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Nate

There are many types of steel but if you are going to shoot them with any high power rifle you need 500 Brinell Steel at least 3/8 in thickness or thicker. Even then there is a safe distance that one should shoot from the target unless using frangible ammunition. They would be more than fine for pistol shooting also. They are for rifle impact. With the rifles you will have to reverse them from time to time since they will bow toward the impact after a while and just need turned around. If you shoot standard steel with a high power it will just punch a hole in it. Or pit the steel so it eventually pokes a whole. Pistol will not do this with most steels at the safe distance. Rounds will and can come back toward the shooter if not at a safe distance. Ane even if the steel target is angled sometimes the rounds will come back after they deflect off the stand holding them. So use caution shooting steel! Have fun shooting steel reactionary targets is COOL!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 04-24-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 04-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Ended up getting some 8 inch plates of mild steel (A36) for $13.00 a plate. Plain on using those for 9mm and 45 ACP. Will wait and get some AR500 steel for the 223, 7.62, and 308.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 329 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 64

There are a couple of sites for steel that are really pretty cheap for what you get and offer free shipping. www.magnumtarget.com is one of them. All of my steel is home done. I have some A36 3/8" steel that I had plasma cut into a 2/3rd scale steel challenge size. I'll mount them on posts in buckets with concrete for weight. Then I can move them around and set up all 8 stages.

For shooting steel with pistol calibers you can get away 3/8". Maybe even 1/4". The trick is to hang them so that they are not rigid and the targets can swing to absorb some of the impact. The other thing is you're shooting steel from inside of 10 yards you'll want to either have it swinging or angled toward the ground slightly. Shepard hooks work pretty good for hanging steel and allows the steel to swing some.

Here's a pic of one of my steel setups I made myself.

image.jpg  
Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Nice set up, I want to head in ordered up A 3/8 A36 8in target from EBay for $13.00. I am going to get a shepherd hook to hang it so it can swing. As long as it performs well with the handguns, I plan on ordering quite a few more. My buddy brought out some steel that he ordered from AR 500, last week, and now I'm hooked on it. Shooting anything else just isn't the same now