Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Something epic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 195 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 147

If you can't find a big enough spoon take a look for brass door plates. ~1/16 thick and easy to work flat brass. These are the big plates they put on the bottom of doors where you kick them. I got one used for $5 at habitat for humanity store. Made many parts out of it. You can get them new at Lowes.

Don't let a little mistake get you down, look on it as a chance to learn how to make a new part!

Looking good, keep at it.

PS sometimes you can find small brass and copper sheets at the hardware store/ hobby shop. Look for a K&S display, small tubes and sheets (6x9") for pretty cheap.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-09-2013 at 02:59 PM.
HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 288

Just to show you that I haven't given up yet. It is turning out to be kinda plain Jane, rather than epic, but I am not finished yet. Have a few more ideas that may come to fruition. After carving out the rough shape, I had to put the project aside until I got my finish sander. It is a Ryobi that has a small triangular head. It has been very useful, and made the job go faster. Got a large German nickle spoon today, and I am trying to decide if I can use it, or parts of it in the build. Can't wait to stain it. I don't like how light the wood is. It is good hard maple though. Still thinking about some kind of checkering. Seems like all the dueling pistols had some kind of adornment on the grips

dscf1044.jpg   dscf1046.jpg   dscf1048.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

People Like This 
Old 11-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #43

Liked 370 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 48

You are doing a fantastic job.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #44

Looking good, only problem I have with most projects like this is its as hard to stop as it was to get started. I can always find one more thing that I can do, or one more improvement to make. I have an AR project gun that I keep tinkering with, probably never will be completely done.

Keep up the good work!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have learned that if I want a pistol with darker wood, start with darker wood. I have had no staining projects that I have ever liked. Started out with straight grained light hard maple. Should have gone for a more of a honey brown. Oh well, this is my first, and I will do it differently next time. I wanted to "Belgium blue" the metal, but I couldn't find it any more where I usually get this stuff. The time I am rust-bluing. Never did this type before, and it will be interesting. The barrel is the first part I am doing, and it is hanging in my damp basement, which doubles as my wet box. After the first application, it turned rusty-red fast, and then when I boiled it, it went black. I carded it with steel wool, put another application of acid on, and it will hang over night. The instructions say it takes between 6 and 20 application cycles to get a good job. We shall see. Got the trigger guard fixed up to go on. I had to cut the pieces that you would normally use to pin the guard on, off to get it to work with my trigger.

dscf1132.jpg   dscf1134.jpg   dscf1136.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 11-24-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I started using shellac for a sanding sealer. My projects come out much better. If I want to raise the grain I just go over the wood lightly with a propane torch. Once I sand the shellac very lightly everything is much smoother from that point forward. I do not use polyurethane varnish on anything.

I prefer oil based spar varnish. I can thin it to the desired thickness with just plain old paint thinner. I bought a gallon of varnish to fix up a boat. The remnants of that gallon of varnish has done a fine job on everything I have refinished since.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #47

Looking good! You know this may just jumpstart me to the 36 Cal squirrel rifle I've been thinking about!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Looking good! You know this may just jumpstart me to the 36 Cal squirrel rifle I've been thinking about!
I am now wishing that I had a tank big enough to do something like that. At present I am using a stainless broiler pan that I liberated from the kitchen. The barrel didn't rust much this time because I think the room in the basement dried up some. I have been running a humidifier, and the tank was dry. It is getting pretty black, I may be getting to a point where I am done. Will let her rust 24 more hours, and see what I get.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 11-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #49

Yeh, I've been looking at a 36"x12" stainless steamer pan for a while now. Not as big as I'd like but wallyworld priced. I can always upgrade later and keep it for small parts.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, it is not exactly what everybody might call "epic". I have made a bunch of mistakes, but I think that it will shoot, and from what I have learned, the next one will go smoother, and better. I truly love this rust bluing. The barrel that I have is a milder steel, and blued up faster than the directions said it would take. I have Belgium blued in an afternoon. The rust bluing took longer,(4 days), but I think I like it better. It is a deep, even blue-black. I have to find some sights for it now, and wait till it warms up to do a range test. I also need to make some loading accessories. Maybe a hook so I can wear it on my belt like a pirate. Thanks to all of you who have followed and given advice along the way. DW get busy on that squirrel rifle. I would be very interested to see how one is built. Maybe I will be inspired.

dscf1138.jpg   dscf1140.jpg   dscf1142.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,