Something epic - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Something epic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 401 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
Well, I bought a cheap pistol kit off E-bay. It began as a real hassle, because the poor sellers are not allowed to sell a complete kit, meaning a complete set of parts. According to the e-Bay Nazi's, you must sell the kit, minus the barrel. You cannot list the barrel until the kit is sold. Long story, short, I convinced him to take the kit off auction, we met in a dark alley, and completed the sale of kit and barrel, and e-Bay, because they are jerks, didn't get their commission.

Decided because this was my first kit, I would learn on it, and save the other lock and barrel for good wood.

Got a book on making black powder rifles, which has been very helpful. The first things I am getting together are the tools. Bought a set of carving tools and changed them into something more useful. Had an old small rasp around that I bent and ground into a tool I can work on the flats of the barrel inlet. Need to find something better to use marking the barrel, that leaves a mark showing me where the high spots are. Have tried to use my DYKEM, but it isn't working well, and is dripping all over my bench. Any Ideas of something else to use? Throughout this project, if any of you have any wisdom or advise, please let me know. Don't give me the advise to give up, Some days it has crossed my own mind to do so. I would like to learn from this experience, so I can move on to the $400 kits.
Try lipstick for your inletting marker fluid. I've also used candle soot. Just hold the part in the flame until it is coated black. I usually just remove about 95% of the material with a router before I start trying to fit the action and barrel into the stock. That assumes that you have access and the skill to use this tool. Or are willing to spend the time to learn.

I decent job can be done on the cheap with a small drill press and a dremel tool. Go ahead and buy a forstner drill bit in 1/4 or 3/8. They really help you to make flat bottom holes and hog out areas for the locks quickly. Hope this helps and don't give up

Check out the stockmaking section on rimfire central for other good ideas from people much better at stockmaking than I am.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

This guy is a true master. Someday I hope to have the time to get this good
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158893&highlight=hipshot

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-05-2013 at 04:30 AM.
HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 10-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2410 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 694

The gun makers used to use India Blue for inletting.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The gun makers used to use India Blue for inletting.
Yep they did... tried it out once myself and went back to the lipstick. Cleans up much better with an alcohol wipe.

The soot works well and its cheap. At least cheaper than explaining to the wife where her lipstick went to. Sounds of complex pain as she finds it on my workbench

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 10-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

I have changed course a bit. Decided to use the first barrel I had because it is better made, and is rifled. Went to a local hardwoods dealer yesterday and bought a nice maple slab. Had him plan both sides and to square the top edge. Today I laid out all my inletting lines, and started removing wood with a forstner bit. I have been using my kerosene stove with the flame burning rich to blacken the barrel for my inletting dye. got the two side flats done this afternoon, but have a lot deeper to go. I was able to get two slabs of maple, 1 3/4 inches thick. The piece was leftover, so the wood only cost $12. This kerosene soot is fairly messy, so I am going to try to find something else

dscf1001.jpg   dscf1002.jpg   dscf1003.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

People Like This 
Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #15

Very nice job! Looks like it will build into a family heirloom.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

dwmiller-Thanks, I have been able to work on it outside on the picknic table because the weather has been so nice. The kerosene sooter has be working out very well, except for being so dirty. Need to find a new shurform rasp when I get to shaping. Have not quite worked out how I am going to cut out the shape of the pistol. Don't have a bandsaw available. Have to do some research into how the old guys did it before electricity

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
dwmiller-Thanks, I have been able to work on it outside on the picknic table because the weather has been so nice. The kerosene sooter has be working out very well, except for being so dirty. Need to find a new shurform rasp when I get to shaping. Have not quite worked out how I am going to cut out the shape of the pistol. Don't have a bandsaw available. Have to do some research into how the old guys did it before electricity
I know you can use a bowsaw to cut mild curves. A coping saw will cut more radical ones. Best bet is to find a buddy with a bandsaw. A hand power jigsaw will work if you bore holes and then play connect the dots. But a real bandsaw is sooo much cleaner, faster and sides of cut near 90 degs. It will save you a bunch of time cleaning up your blank later.

Ask at the local school or a buisness that does woodworking. A few bucks spent here sure beats the frustration of messing up now.

Harbor freight has small, cheap bandsaws that are benchtop sized. Slow to cut with and underpowered but better than a handsaw. Plus you gain another tool. Something to consider if your budget will allow it.

Just checked $124 and a 20% off coupon for a 9" tabletop saw. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-17-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Soot is working pretty well. The picnic table days are almost over here, but I am making headway. On my second maple slab now. My hand slipped, and I took a big knock out of my first slab. It's all good. With what I learned making the first attempt, has sure made the second move right along. The soot is dirty, but works nice. I just need to take the time to stone my chisels to get nice controllable cuts. No more power tools after the first slab incident on the drill press. Was going to try my router, but when I plugged it in it was tit's up. When I was down at the lumber yard looking for a new forstner bit, I found a real nice Porter Cable laminate trimmer that I think is going to make inletting the lock a snap. Maybe even cutting the pistol shape out. Need to invent another tool to help me get down inside to sand the flats. Need to find a nice gooseneck lamp. My doctor's office has one, but I don't think I can get it out of there under my jacket. As much as I pay him, you would think I could get a free one every visit. I will check with the high school to see if they have a band saw, and if I can get this cut. Need to look at a lot more pictures before I end up with one design.

dscf1004.jpg   dscf1005.jpg   dscf1006.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

People Like This 
Old 10-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

you're making progress! looking good so far.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt
Soot is working pretty well. The picnic table days are almost over here, but I am making headway. On my second maple slab now. My hand slipped, and I took a big knock out of my first slab. It's all good. With what I learned making the first attempt, has sure made the second move right along. The soot is dirty, but works nice. I just need to take the time to stone my chisels to get nice controllable cuts. No more power tools after the first slab incident on the drill press. Was going to try my router, but when I plugged it in it was tit's up. When I was down at the lumber yard looking for a new forstner bit, I found a real nice Porter Cable laminate trimmer that I think is going to make inletting the lock a snap. Maybe even cutting the pistol shape out. Need to invent another tool to help me get down inside to sand the flats. Need to find a nice gooseneck lamp. My doctor's office has one, but I don't think I can get it out of there under my jacket. As much as I pay him, you would think I could get a free one every visit. I will check with the high school to see if they have a band saw, and if I can get this cut. Need to look at a lot more pictures before I end up with one design.
Looking good so far.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY