Something epic
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Something epic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Default Something epic

I received a black powder pistol from my father-in-law. It was a completed kit gun he found at a sale, and thought that I might like it. It got put aside after my boys lost interest, and has been rusting in the basement since then.

I found it,recently, and after looking at the parts of it, I decided that I wanted to make some thing epic out of it.

The wood is gone, looks to have been very cheap and finished with a Hershey bar. The lock and barrel were bedded with epoxy glue.

The components are made in Japan by Miroku. The barrel is .45 cal with sharp clean rifling. The lock is nice, and traditional with the except of a coiled sear spring. The surface on the inside looks like it was case hardened at some time The rest of the kit is trash.

Where can I find a source for ideas of designs for black powder cap and ball pistols, someone selling individual parts like triggers, trigger guards, and sights, ect., and more important, the wood pistol blanks.

It was originally done something like a generic Kentucky-style, with a brass nose tip

dscf0288.jpg   dscf0289.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 10-04-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9572 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Dixie guns works- altho I will caution you that the cost of parts will exceed cost of a kit. For a stock, find a suitable well cured section of hardwood (or a yellow pine 2x6) and a bandsaw, chisel, and a REAL sharp pocket knife. Start whittling.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 09-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #3

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Track of the Wolf has parts and kits and stuff.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

subscribed to follow along!

Old 09-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Dixie guns works- altho I will caution you that the cost of parts will exceed cost of a kit. For a stock, find a suitable well cured section of hardwood (or a yellow pine 2x6) and a bandsaw, chisel, and a REAL sharp pocket knife. Start whittling.
I have looked at Dixie. The flintlock kit I wanted was better than $300, which I thought was a bit much for me. Might have to sell off one of the kids. Said it was a skill level one. I don't know what that translates to, but I have never inletted a barrel. Was not wanting to get a nice kit for the first one. Bought a lesser quality kit on eBay to be my first victim. People on the internet don't like the makers because of problems with their locks. Thought I would get it anyway and maybe use the Jap parts. The other kit was made in Spain. I am a gunsmith school drop out. Had to quit schoo after two l and get a job because the kids were staving and I could make more money in the ER.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Track of the Wolf has parts and kits and stuff.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/
I trade a lot with these guys for bullets and molds, I will have to look deeper. I have seen some beautiful Ceiler(if that is spelled right) flint locks I would like to have to look at. They look like little works of art.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
subscribed to follow along!
Axx, not sure what you mean

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1427 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

He's following the thread, Doc, because he's interested to see the progress you make on this project. Me too.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, I bought a cheap pistol kit off E-bay. It began as a real hassle, because the poor sellers are not allowed to sell a complete kit, meaning a complete set of parts. According to the e-Bay Nazi's, you must sell the kit, minus the barrel. You cannot list the barrel until the kit is sold. Long story, short, I convinced him to take the kit off auction, we met in a dark alley, and completed the sale of kit and barrel, and e-Bay, because they are jerks, didn't get their commission.

Decided because this was my first kit, I would learn on it, and save the other lock and barrel for good wood.

Got a book on making black powder rifles, which has been very helpful. The first things I am getting together are the tools. Bought a set of carving tools and changed them into something more useful. Had an old small rasp around that I bent and ground into a tool I can work on the flats of the barrel inlet. Need to find something better to use marking the barrel, that leaves a mark showing me where the high spots are. Have tried to use my DYKEM, but it isn't working well, and is dripping all over my bench. Any Ideas of something else to use? Throughout this project, if any of you have any wisdom or advise, please let me know. Don't give me the advise to give up, Some days it has crossed my own mind to do so. I would like to learn from this experience, so I can move on to the $400 kits.

dscf0294.jpg   dscf0295.jpg   dscf0296.jpg   dscf0298.jpg  

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My single shot sidelock BP pistol is a Bucksomething from Traditions; it is also a favorite when I go plinking with my friends.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.