Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > So How's It Look?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
well .... i never been one to dodge questions so......... I think it looks out of place as well as ugly as sin IMHO
same here, Personaly I don't like it, But it is not my gun so aslong as you like it... good for you.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well, it's gone in favor of a Wilson ambi.

The lightweight just didn't hold up, and started galling against the plunger.

I can't believe I forgot about this place! It somehow lost its tab when I open Firefox.

Josh <><

Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Especially on a plane.
Planes are made from aluminum.

Quote:
Actually, I am thinking about an EGW trigger. It has a stop I can file. Adjustable (screw type) stops bite in my opinion. I've seen them fail and lock up guns.
Really? I've got 12k to 15k rounds on mine and it hasn't so much as moved.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:03 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Planes are made from aluminum.
Yup. I addressed that earlier.

Quote:
Really? I've got 12k to 15k rounds on mine and it hasn't so much as moved.
Really. I've seen it twice myself, and I've talked with many more who have seen this happen.

It's not common, but why take the chance? The more things you have that move, the more prone to malfunction you make the weapon.

Josh <><

Old 11-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
I love Evolution Gun Works! Last Fall they put a new barrel on one of my Colt Mark IV's. This is the truth: I knew George Smith when he worked for Austin Behlert over 30 years ago.

As a matter of fact, I was in Austin's shop during first week that George started there. He was a brand new smith right out of school; and, Behlert's Custom Gunshop was George's first job. Nobody ever imagined that he was destined to go so far! His is quite an entrepreneurial success story.

Personally, I wouldn't go nuts on the finish. Pistols that get used a lot can stand to be refinished every 4 or 5 years, anyway. Duracoat is good if you're carrying in leather. The toughest pistol finish I've found is the hardchrome from Accurate Plating. The nicest - and, also, one of the most durable - is Birdsong's, 'Black T'. (The, 'Green T' too)

Birdsong Review

Accurate Plating & Weaponry

(Bob Cogan is another really good guy who's been around a long time!)
duracoat is great stuff especially if your goin to be using the gun often as it protects the gun from the oils left behind from your fingers, ive got duracoats combat green on my shotgun and the best part about it is if u marr the finish u can rub it out. plus there are so many colors to choose from mpo though

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
It's not common, but why take the chance? The more things you have that move, the more prone to malfunction you make the weapon.

Josh <><
Loctite? I've never heard of a case of it and I have at least a dozen friends that own 1911 with screw stop triggers. All of them have at least 10k rounds through their pistol with ne'er a problem.

Trigger stop screws is a "problem" like MIM parts. It's pure BS internet myth. I've seen a lot of stuff fail, but it's not to improper design, rather it's from improper use. If you mess with the screw and don't Loctite it back down when you're done, it's going to fall out.

That's why I don't like to see amateurs dicking with their pistols like this. Did you bother to have the barrel re-heat treated after you drilled the hole in it? Do you know what stress risers are? Do you know why your pistol didn't come from the factory with that hole drilled in it?

Arm chair gun smiths will have parts fail, as you witnessed yourself by hacking up some of the safeties. A professional 'smith could have fit any one of those safety levers you your pistol.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Tinkering is fine, that's how we learn. If you mess with something that you have no experience with, you need to have it inspected by a professional before using it, especially when explosions are involved.

The information contained herein is the work of an untrained individual and is not endorsed by Firearms Talk or it's moderation staff, administration or owners.

Roger Waters

Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Loctite? I've never heard of a case of it and I have at least a dozen friends that own 1911 with screw stop triggers. All of them have at least 10k rounds through their pistol with ne'er a problem.

Trigger stop screws is a "problem" like MIM parts. It's pure BS internet myth. I've seen a lot of stuff fail, but it's not to improper design, rather it's from improper use. If you mess with the screw and don't Loctite it back down when you're done, it's going to fall out.
Then why did I see it happen? The Loctite thing, WRT guns, is very debatable. Done properly, no gun should ever need Loctite, or so some very experienced pistolsmiths opine. I use it for one thing, and that's for keeping a front sight on if the dovetail is a bit loose. Ya' raise the bottom of the dovetail with a prick punch, put some loctite on, and tap the front sight back in. It shouldn't come out again.

I do not get the warm fuzzies from having it around my trigger or any part of the firing mechanism.

I'm not knocking your personal choice - I'm merely stating mine. Why you seem to take issue with my choice when I have no issue with you doing as you wish is beyond me.

Quote:
That's why I don't like to see amateurs dicking with their pistols like this. Did you bother to have the barrel re-heat treated after you drilled the hole in it? Do you know what stress risers are? Do you know why your pistol didn't come from the factory with that hole drilled in it?
There was no drilling involved, and thus, no metal softening. Very rarely do I use power tools. Slow and easy does it.

There is no significant stress on the barrel hood. Its sole purpose in life is to let the slide push the barrel back into battery. In full battery, there is a very small gap (.001" IIRC, from memory) between the barrel and the slide. Tactical 1911: The Street Cop's And SWAT Operator's Guide To Employment And Maintenance, Lauck, p. 31 The chamber is further up and there is no damage done with a view port, either due to pressure or due to parts contact.

Quote:
Arm chair gun smiths will have parts fail, as you witnessed yourself by hacking up some of the safeties. A professional 'smith could have fit any one of those safety levers you your pistol.
What do you mean by "hacking up some of those safeties?" Fitting a safety is one of the easier things to do on a 1911. The only one that would not fit is the King's, and it appears that the part may just be defective.

Are you taking all those safeties I have to mean that I couldn't get one to fit? If so, you're mistaken. I couldn't find a comprehensive list, felt the resource would be valuable to other left handers, and went about writing it up after about a year of experimentation. Some of those safeties were fitted, used while firing a few rounds, then taken right back off. The only ones to spend any time on my 1911 were the STI, Kimber, and Wilson, in that order. I'm happiest with Wilson.

Please explain yourself better; I'm not sure where you're coming from in a lot of your statements.

Josh <><

Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Adjustable (screw type) stops bite in my opinion. I've seen them fail and lock up guns.
I'm with Matt bro - Hundreds of bolt rifles have screw adjustable triggers, including the all coveted Jewell and Timney. I have never seen a screw type trigger "fail & lock up a gun".

I have seen home gunsmiths adjust them too far one way or the other, and have issues like ND's or FTF - but I have never seen one outright fail, especially one tuned by an actual gunsmith.

As for Loctite, it has many uses, and so does clear nail polish, one of which happens to be holding a set screw in place and keeping it from coming loose or allowing dirt/grit/debris in there. There is nothing "wrong" about the practice.

If you personally don't like it, that's fine, but I am not for the broad brush statements that all screw type stops are inferior.

They aren't.

If they were, I am pretty sure somewhere along the lines, everyone making triggers would have went with a different design.

JD

Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I beg to differ on the Loctite issue. In theory, no Loctite should ever need to be used on any machined part. In real life, there are stresses and vibrations that are encountered that aren't planned for on the part of the engineer. In such cases, Loctite prevails.

If you don't want a screw to move, it should have Loctite on it. As a structural fabricator, with quite a bit of machining under my belt and as a Jeeper that beats the hell out of my rig, that just comes down as common sense.

Many gun owners use clear finger nail lacquer in it's place, but Loctite makes a product that is better suited.

I'll use the same argument that I use for other Jeepers, as it applies here: it's your life, why half ass it? But I digress, many of them use less than adequate parts and bust their asses forever trying to make their half assed part work, or worse yet, die because of their bad choice.

What can you do?

Roger Waters