Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > So How's It Look?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Default So How's It Look?

The other day I ordered a Kimber pinned safety. They finally got some in, while King's is still back ordered.

It got here today. I installed it. It took no fitting to the sear - Kimber molds them pre-fit to guns which are in spec.

Compared to the STI safety, it feels and looks cheap. I had to take a lot of flash off and smooth down rough spots to keep it from binding. I also had to take the slop out of the joint.

BUT! It's on now, and is performing well. MIM parts will fail early on if they're going to fail, but flipping it on and off 100 times as well as 50 rounds or so through the gun didn't reveal any further flaws.

I really wish I could have gotten a King's as the concept is great IMO, but Kimber's execution leaves something to be desired.

I'm keeping the STI safety as a backup, but with a light spring on this one I don't think it will fail.

Josh <><

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
but Kimber's execution leaves something to be desired.
Really? Huh. Well, that is honestly the first time I have heard that. Ever.

I have had three and never had a problem, and I still own two. Granted, they aren't top of the food chain, but for the common man, to have such a great piece available, I would be hard pressed to find another model that offered what they do in the same price range....

JD

Old 07-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well .... i never been one to dodge questions so......... I think it looks out of place as well as ugly as sin IMHO

Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #4

I think this has a pretty descent look and also this looks handy and for a handy model which is nice to hold the look is awesome!

Last edited by komrad7800; 07-21-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Really? Huh. Well, that is honestly the first time I have heard that. Ever.

I have had three and never had a problem, and I still own two. Granted, they aren't top of the food chain, but for the common man, to have such a great piece available, I would be hard pressed to find another model that offered what they do in the same price range....

JD
Well, it seems to be functioning fine.

The problem I had was that when I opened the package, the thing felt like it was made from aluminum alloy. That doesn't inspire confidence in me.

I also had to take slop out of the joint. I didn't expect that on a $65 part - not when Brown and STI/SVI cost the same and have no slop.

Josh <><

Old 07-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
The problem I had was that when I opened the package, the thing felt like it was made from aluminum alloy. That doesn't inspire confidence in me.
Ever been on a plane?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #7

Especially on a plane.

I took ground school when I was young. Then they took us up to get used to the controls. Never again. I took the controls, turned us around and learned to land.

A storm was rolling in, we were getting blown all over the place, and the wings were flapping. Normal, I know, but it didn't inspire confidence.

I trust the physics that hold airplaines (and choppers etc) up - God made those physics and they've not broken yet.

I do not trust the machines used to take advantage of those physics - they're human made and we've had airplanes disintegrate midair, crash into mountains, and just fall out out of the sky for no apparent reason. (There's a story for another time behind that last one.)

This is the same reason I carry a spare magazine. I'm confident of my ability to place eight rounds into a threat; I'm not confident that I won't have a double feed or magazine malfunction. My Wilson #47 7 round magazines have never given me any trouble whatsoever, and my 1911 only failed to chamber twice, both within the first 20 rounds I fired from it new. (I ended up polishing a rough spot on the breech face after that.) But, I've never had any trouble other than those two FTFs.

That doesn't mean that I won't be in the middle of a fight and not have the Ed Brown slidestop/cross pin break, or the feed lips won't magically lose cohesion, or any number of outrageous things.

Josh <><

Old 07-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #8

Personally, I think it looks darned good! If it were mine I'd add a stainless match-grade trigger, and polish the barrel, too. Is that what you did with the slide stop? Kind 'a looks that way in the photo. Ever think about Duracoat?

(By the way, what kind of gun is that?)

Old 07-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #9

Actually, I am thinking about an EGW trigger. It has a stop I can file. Adjustable (screw type) stops bite in my opinion. I've seen them fail and lock up guns. Most triggers I've looked at have them, but the EGW doesn't seem to.

The slide stop is just browned - I think - it came from Ed Brown and the finish is not quite blue, not quite black.

I've been looking at different finishes, playing with acid baths, etc. I've not found one that will totally resist holster wear yet, but that's not to say I won't.

I think the next 1911 I get will be a stainless steel, though I do like rust finishes better.

Josh <><

Old 07-24-2008, 01:27 AM   #10

I love Evolution Gun Works! Last Fall they put a new barrel on one of my Colt Mark IV's. This is the truth: I knew George Smith when he worked for Austin Behlert over 30 years ago.

As a matter of fact, I was in Austin's shop during first week that George started there. He was a brand new smith right out of school; and, Behlert's Custom Gunshop was George's first job. Nobody ever imagined that he was destined to go so far! His is quite an entrepreneurial success story.

Personally, I wouldn't go nuts on the finish. Pistols that get used a lot can stand to be refinished every 4 or 5 years, anyway. Duracoat is good if you're carrying in leather. The toughest pistol finish I've found is the hardchrome from Accurate Plating. The nicest - and, also, one of the most durable - is Birdsong's, 'Black T'. (The, 'Green T' too)

Birdsong Review

Accurate Plating & Weaponry

(Bob Cogan is another really good guy who's been around a long time!)

Last edited by G21.45; 07-24-2008 at 01:31 AM.