SKS Conversion and barrel mods - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > SKS Conversion and barrel mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

The bolt pictured in my post is from a yugo

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Sweet thanksgiving cant wait to be back home so I can have my guns again

Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #23

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by St8LineGunsmith
what do you mean
if you mean the bolt locking in the open position when the last round is fired you want that to happen that way you can load a full mag and cycle the next round quicker.
Not being able to put a mag in with the bolt closed is a pian in the butt

Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 AM   #24
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158

That's why I did the mod.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #25

Liked 171 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
EXACTLY RIGHT! that is the purpose for the mod, makes the sks a safer functioning rifle when using detachable magazines and does not alter the operationnal functionaality when using original mags with stripper clips so doing the mod is a no brainer if you use High capacity detachable mags.
if you use the original mag thwn the mod is unnecessiary.

Gunnovice09
this mod can be done with all SKS rifles, the Yogos, Romanian, E German, N Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese ect. are all exact copy's of the Russian Simonov version so any mod that can be done on a Chinese SKS can be done on any other variation they are all the same with the exception that some have threaded barrels and some are pinned.

most parts will interchange also
the most important thing to remember exchanging a part is when changing the firing pin bolt block for what ever reason is that it needs to have the chamber gauged with go and no go gauges to make sure the head space is correct with a new firing pin block the best thing is not to inter change parts if it is not necessary for the number one reason that when you exchange original parts with aftermarket parts your gun is no longer original and can take away from the value of the fire arm in a lot of cases especially if the firearm has any recorded historical significance.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by St8LineGunsmith

EXACTLY RIGHT! that is the purpose for the mod, makes the sks a safer functioning rifle when using detachable magazines and does not alter the operationnal functionaality when using original mags with stripper clips so doing the mod is a no brainer if you use High capacity detachable mags.
if you use the original mag thwn the mod is unnecessiary.

Gunnovice09
this mod can be done with all SKS rifles, the Yogos, Romanian, E German, N Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese ect. are all exact copy's of the Russian Simonov version so any mod that can be done on a Chinese SKS can be done on any other variation they are all the same with the exception that some have threaded barrels and some are pinned.

most parts will interchange also
the most important thing to remember exchanging a part is when changing the firing pin bolt block for what ever reason is that it needs to have the chamber gauged with go and no go gauges to make sure the head space is correct with a new firing pin block the best thing is not to inter change parts if it is not necessary for the number one reason that when you exchange original parts with aftermarket parts your gun is no longer original and can take away from the value of the fire arm in a lot of cases especially if the firearm has any recorded historical significance.
Let us not forget that some trigger groups are not interchangeable. Even if they are from the same origin. I found that out the hard way.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #27

Liked 171 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 224

thats why I said most parts will interchange

all SKS parts will interchange with some modification to either the part or the receiver to accept the part however all parts are not retrofit.
it is far more logical to fit a Chinese trigger group to Chinese receiver than to try to fit a Yugo trigger group to a Chinese receiver or visa versa, it can be done but not advisable.
I personally would rather have all original firearm than a mongrel. If you have a defective trigger group you are better off using the original trigger group frame and replacing the defective part than replacing the whole trigger group.
if you are replacing the trigger group other than replacing a defective trigger group then that is your business and probably should not be discussed here.

another part that cannot be exchanged from one type to another is a Yugo gas tube and piston to a Chinese barrel and receiver assembly and visa versa unless you make some major mods, there again it can be done but not very smart trying to attempt unless you own some machine tools and a good deal of knowledge as a machinist, a bit of knowledge of gunsmithing would be imperative also.

there again I would go ahead and build my own version of the SKS before attempting to match parts from one type to the other, it would be much cheaper too.

EDIT:
any mods that I share with other forum members will be mods that any one with a few basic hand tools and a few basic power tools and some basic mechanical knowledge will be able to do.
I will not share any kind of mods that can potentially alter the safe operation and or functionality of the firearm
nor will I share any modifications that are illegal.

Gun Gripe of the Day...
Californians and New Yorkers should probably not read this thread because everything that has anything to do with our second amendment rights to own and bare arms has been blatantly violated and infringed and made illegal by the gun hating politicians who claim they represent the people of those states.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Last edited by St8LineGunsmith; 05-31-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Thanks st8 for the info