Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Shorten AR barrel: 24" to 18" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/shorten-ar-barrel-24-18-a-34387/)

paul 11-14-2010 08:19 PM

Shorten AR barrel: 24" to 18"

I like to shorten my AR-15 24" barrell to 18". I'll clear the end of the gas tube by approx. 6" and no threads are being put on, just straight cut with muzzle dress milled and reblued. :)

Dillinger 11-14-2010 08:47 PM

That about covers it. Line the barrel up in the ban saw, whack it off, dress a new crown, brush and patch the bore and reblue as needed.

Do you know the twist rate? I would assume 1:9 but don't know what model you are working on. Shortening the barrel won't change the weight of bullets that it will shoot well and your accuracy will probably suffer at longer ranges.

JD

Highpower 11-14-2010 10:17 PM

Pictures please.... :)

paul 11-15-2010 12:43 AM

Ar shorter barrell

It's a 1:9, er shaw(?), It's all in the interest of tactical advantage with giving up some accuracy. A 18" barrell is what I'm wanting to end up with. It's a RRA lower, 2-stage, CAA stock, A3, with Removable handle. I may even go for 16and a qtr. inches. The extra measure so no dispute on length:)

Dillinger 11-15-2010 01:41 AM

Have you considered building a second upper that is more tactically oriented for street to street applications instead of sacrificing your longer range upper?

paul 11-16-2010 02:35 AM

ar barrell cut

Yeaper, but I decided since this rifle is set up for tact. except for the barrel length, to save money and cut this one. For my long range setup, I'm looking really hard at a Colt, match service rifle. My dream is to shoot at Camp Perry one day, service rifle and M1 Garand competition. I really like those Springfield, service grade rifles. Sorry, I got off subject, :) Thanks for the reply Dillinger

Dillinger 11-16-2010 02:39 AM

Just thought I would throw it out there. I understand your needs on this application.

Whack the barrel, crown it, clean it and reblue as needed. ;)

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

JD

spittinfire 11-16-2010 02:42 AM

Fire up the band saw!!! Please photograph the process.

paul 11-16-2010 02:52 AM

AR barrel cut...

I believe I will take photo's since it's been suggested several times. I don't know how it will turn out but what the heck, it won't be the first time I embarrased myself learning something new. Just hope I can do the picture thing on line. I'm trying to decide what type of crown "design" to dress up the muzzle with. There are several types I've seen. Considering doing it like a service rifle crown (Colt) vs. typical hunting rifle (Rem. Winc. Browning etc.)

Highpower 11-16-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul (Post 386323)
..... no threads are being put on, just straight cut with muzzle dress milled and reblued. :)

I would strongly suggest an 11 (target) crown, since you won't have a muzzle brake or F/S for protection. :cool: