Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Sg43 semi auto conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Default Sg43 semi auto conversion

image-1615905918.jpg

Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these. I used a mosin barrel in place of the original de-milled barrel and was able to achieve correct head space. Now I'm trying to figure out fire control group. Any input?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2664 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

I hope you have the paperwork in line.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #3

Liked 389 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 1378

I am sure it wont be full auto

Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Very cool! Keep us in pics of your progress as we root you on.

(agreed on the paperwork)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I understand your concer about paperwork trust me. I bought this parts kit from apex gun parts and it was in pieces. Re welded the receiver back together after the bolt was converted from open to closed (doing so makes it a legal semi auto) but there lies the problem. An open bolt gun (automatic) slams the bolt forward and causes it to fire. No hammer. So I'm thinking about taking a trigger group from either an ak47 or an ar15 and mounting it inside the receiver somehow to work like a traditional semi-auto. Wish me luck and I will post more pics when I have time to work on her

Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Have you looked at how they convert the Sterling Pistol or the PPS to closed bolt? Might help. The PPS43c is the inexpensive semi-auto that is made in Poland but sold here (with welded wirestock).

I could almost swear that the surplus bull barrels classicarms.something had for their Mosin Nagant sporter project product came off a machine gun with a 43 in the name. They looked reeeeeal nice; i never had the scratch or the time to get the package deal, but maybe you could find one from a failed project or another supplier through classicarms. If you need one in the future.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-19-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Have you looked at how they convert the Sterling Pistol or the PPS to closed bolt? Might help. The PPS43c is the inexpensive semi-auto that is made in Poland but sold here (with welded wirestock).

I could almost swear that the surplus bull barrels classicarms.something had for their Mosin Nagant sporter project product came off a machine gun with a 43 in the name. They looked reeeeeal nice; i never had the scratch or the time to get the package deal, but maybe you could find one from a failed project or another supplier through classicarms. If you need one in the future.
I ended up just using an original mosin barrel I got from gun broker and machined it down to press fit inside the original barrel. It worked good then plug welded it for peace of mind. So now I have to machine a custom mount to hold the hammer seat and trigger from an ak then run linkage to the original trigger. I will post pics tonight that shows everything I have done so far.