Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Sg43 semi auto conversion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/sg43-semi-auto-conversion-78886/)

MachineHead 12-19-2012 05:48 PM

Sg43 semi auto conversion

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 75503

Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these. I used a mosin barrel in place of the original de-milled barrel and was able to achieve correct head space. Now I'm trying to figure out fire control group. Any input?

danf_fl 12-19-2012 06:15 PM

I hope you have the paperwork in line.

bluez 12-19-2012 06:17 PM

I am sure it wont be full auto :)

orangello 12-19-2012 06:17 PM

Very cool! Keep us in pics of your progress as we root you on.

(agreed on the paperwork)

MachineHead 12-19-2012 09:41 PM

I understand your concer about paperwork trust me. I bought this parts kit from apex gun parts and it was in pieces. Re welded the receiver back together after the bolt was converted from open to closed (doing so makes it a legal semi auto) but there lies the problem. An open bolt gun (automatic) slams the bolt forward and causes it to fire. No hammer. So I'm thinking about taking a trigger group from either an ak47 or an ar15 and mounting it inside the receiver somehow to work like a traditional semi-auto. Wish me luck and I will post more pics when I have time to work on her

orangello 12-19-2012 09:51 PM

Have you looked at how they convert the Sterling Pistol or the PPS to closed bolt? Might help. The PPS43c is the inexpensive semi-auto that is made in Poland but sold here (with welded wirestock).

I could almost swear that the surplus bull barrels classicarms.something had for their Mosin Nagant sporter project product came off a machine gun with a 43 in the name. They looked reeeeeal nice; i never had the scratch or the time to get the package deal, but maybe you could find one from a failed project or another supplier through classicarms. If you need one in the future.

MachineHead 12-20-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello
Have you looked at how they convert the Sterling Pistol or the PPS to closed bolt? Might help. The PPS43c is the inexpensive semi-auto that is made in Poland but sold here (with welded wirestock).

I could almost swear that the surplus bull barrels classicarms.something had for their Mosin Nagant sporter project product came off a machine gun with a 43 in the name. They looked reeeeeal nice; i never had the scratch or the time to get the package deal, but maybe you could find one from a failed project or another supplier through classicarms. If you need one in the future.

I ended up just using an original mosin barrel I got from gun broker and machined it down to press fit inside the original barrel. It worked good then plug welded it for peace of mind. So now I have to machine a custom mount to hold the hammer seat and trigger from an ak then run linkage to the original trigger. I will post pics tonight that shows everything I have done so far.