Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Sears single shot conversion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/sears-single-shot-conversion-77032/)

flashover 11-25-2012 03:00 AM

Sears single shot conversion

I just got a old bolt action single shot sears rifle .22 and was wondering if it would be at all possible to convert it to hold a 5 round clip I am willing to put time into it just wasn't sure if it was possible.

Axxe55 11-25-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashover (Post 1026001)
I just got a old bolt action single shot sears rifle .22 and was wondering if it would be at all possible to convert it to hold a 5 round clip I am willing to put time into it just wasn't sure if it was possible.

oh it's probably possible, but probably not worth it. what are your machining and fabricating skills? what is your skill level with firearms?

flashover 11-25-2012 03:14 AM

This is my very first attempt at anything honestly so around none

Axxe55 11-25-2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashover (Post 1026020)
This is my very first attempt at anything honestly so around none

best advice i can give is, leave it alone. shoot it as it is or buy one that has a removeable magazine. best case scenario, you will bugger it up and make it unshootable, worst case, you actually are able to and it blows up in your face, injuring yourself. gunsmithing isn't something done by those with no knowledge of working on firearms.

flashover 11-25-2012 03:24 AM

That's what I was figuring. I am debating whether to try pennfosters gunsmithing class because i am really wanting to learn is there any ideas I could try just to mess around with the rifle?

Axxe55 11-25-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashover (Post 1026029)
That's what I was figuring. I am debating whether to try pennfosters gunsmithing class because i am really wanting to learn is there any ideas I could try just to mess around with the rifle?

personally if it works just fine, leave it be. don't mess with it. working on firearms isn't something to take lightly.

in other words if it ain't broke, don't fix it. leave it be.

pagj17 11-25-2012 03:31 AM

I at one time wanted to do the samething... instead I bought it's sibling with a detachable magazine.

flashover 11-25-2012 03:32 AM

Okay I appreciate the help

nitestalker 11-25-2012 03:38 AM

That would require some very detailed machine work. In order to open the lower reciever change the bolt face and design the feed ramp is very advanced work. You would have to build or find a magazine base and magazine that would fit the stock and mate the lower part of your reciever. You will need a metal lathe and a milling machine and a TiG welder would be helpful.
In the end just follow Axx 55s good advise.:D

c3shooter 11-25-2012 11:02 AM

You have already been given good advice. Can it be done? Hell, you CAN do anything except ski thru a revolving door.

Will probably cost about $500-$600 to change a $65 rifle into a $75 rifle.