Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   DIY Projects (
-   -   SD retirement 1911 (

TheDaggle 05-16-2010 10:10 PM

SD retirement 1911
My dad retires from the Sheriff's Dept. this November, and I'm thinking of getting everybody to pitch in, maybe build him a custom 1911. I've been looking at caspian frames and slides. He isn't a fan of shiny things, so I will probably want to get a non-reflective finish put on if we do this. Does anyone have suggestions for finishes, and how will this affect the fit of the gun? Can a finish be applied to a SS surface or do I have to get Carbon Steel? Are 1911 guts interchangeable, or will I have to get all-caspian or go to a gunsmith? I'm kinda jumping in head first here, so any help is appreciated.

DrumJunkie 05-16-2010 10:18 PM

1911 parts will work across different companies with the exceptin of Llama and star parts. But You wont want those anyway. Al;so parts for Para Ord LDA pistols the triggers are different. But I don't remember seeing those kind of parts listed with 1911 parts. As long as you are buying parts for 1911 and clones you should be fine. Most wilkl say they fit Government models, Commander, officers models or the like.

As for finishes there are several out there. I'm a pretty big fan of Dura-Coat just because it's what I've used and seen most. It seems to hold up to holdter wear better than most others that I've had the chance to see and the application is reall easy.

danf_fl 05-16-2010 10:54 PM

I've dura-coat and Gun-kote with some decent results. Gun-kote requires baking to cure correctly. Fusion firearms offers kits on or get with Ted Yost and the ltw crowd (google). Your only limits are how much you want to put in such a project. Does Dad have a brand preference?

TheDaggle 05-23-2010 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 285862)
Does Dad have a brand preference?

Dad isn't going to know! As for 1911s in general, he has never owned one. I don't even know if he's ever shot one. He's been a revolver/polymer man as long as I can remember, but I am certain he would appreciate a 1911 for all of it's virtues, and it is certainly the custom gun platform of choice.
I just found out he's staying on until January to take advantage of a better insurance program being implemented next year, so I have some extra time, and I've been in contact with a Lt. who has agreed to ask around and drum up some helpers in the dept.
Thanks, guys. If this works out, I'll post progress reports. I think it would be a pretty neat gift.

CA357 05-24-2010 04:12 AM

Please keep us in the loop. It certainly sounds like a thoughtful gift.

canebrake 05-24-2010 04:42 AM

Here's a start, might as well go with the best. If you go with someone like Ted Yost, remember it will be over a year to completion.

+1 danf_fl

freefall 05-24-2010 06:38 AM

I'm intrigued by what I've heard about Ro-Bar's NP3 finish. Through the gun in a dishwasher, wipe it with a paper towel.

TheDaggle 05-24-2010 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 289474)
Here's a start, might as well go with the best. If you go with someone like Ted Yost, remember it will be over a year to completion.

+1 danf_fl

We (I) don't want to spend TOO much money, and my dad is the kind of guy who would rather have a $1200 gun built for him by amateurs who care than a $4000 gun built by a masterful stranger. The more we can do ourselves, the better.

danf_fl 05-24-2010 09:17 AM

Have you considered getting with a Trophy shop? Buy a true blue 1911 with minimal markings on the slide, and have an engraver put something on (opposite of the ejection port). The engraver may have an idea how to make the statement in gold/bronze. Put some sort of white grips on (modified to have a small shield imbedded). Make a shadow box. It's a thought.