Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Scotty's semi-Custom Sig 1911 C3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Scotty's semi-Custom Sig 1911 C3

I picked up a new carry pistol a few weeks ago, and I wouldn't have a male chromosome in my body if I didn't want to change up a few thiings. I saw a pistol very nearly equipped this way from another maker, but it was priced beyond my budget, so I grabbed this Sig Sauer C3 and spent a few bucks making my own tweaks. I came in several hundred under the other option and have a couple of things it didn't have. I'm very happy with it! It shoots very well and has presented no issues, whatsoever.

I started with the stock C3, many of you surely recognize as having an officer's sized frame and commander length slide. I picked it based on the weight and slim slide profile. I need to weigh it as it sits now, but it's probably under 27 oz.
I swithched the 3 white dots for tritium. I discovered that the Sig sights are made by Kensight and it was easy to identify the correct rear sight. Pinning down the front was a little harder, so I went with Novak so I could fully spec it to the correct dimensions. I taped up the slide and drifted the old ones out easily enough and the new ones drifted right in. I can't say enough about the precision fit and finish on the Sig pistols I've handled.
I seriously considered a trigger job. It's almost SOP with any gun I buy, but after only a couple of hundred rounds, and a slight adjustment of the factory over-travel screw, this trigger is very nearly as slick as my Pin gun, which I would put against any trigger by any smith. It was done years ago by Alan Tilman at ART Enterprises. Anyway, I decided to leave it alone. (sorry, I know)
I am pretty picky about the grip because I have small, but far from dainty, hands. Slim grip panels were a must, so I picked up a set by Kim Ahrends. They are Cocobolo with smooth finish and ball milled grooves. I finished it off with a government model magazine wearing the X-Grip finger extension and stainless screws, both from Brownell's. The icing on the cake is the arched aluminum mainspring housing from Smith & Alexander. Now it's very much like a bob-tail, but with the option to put a short mag in it if the size of the butt is an issue.
Lastly, I bet you noticed the bright white lettering stamped into the frame. No big secret here. It's china white grease marker rubbed into the stamping, a trick I learned from the M14 nuts on that forum. I'm addicted and will do this on every gun I own!

In the end, I added about $250 to the $800 price of the pistol. I think I have a heck of a lot more than that money would have bought off the shelf, and I did it all at home without any special tools.

Last edited by scottybaccus; 07-22-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19548 Times on 11094 Posts
Likes Given: 49194

Dang Nice Job there Scotty! simple elegance. i like it a bunch.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you! I am still getting acquainted with it, but it is quite possibly dethroning my heirloom 1911, something I never thought I'd say.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottybaccus View Post
Thank you! I am still getting acquainted with it, but it is quite possibly dethroning my heirloom 1911, something I never thought I'd say.
A Sig dethroning a Ted Yost piece??

** snot bubble **

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
A Sig dethroning a Ted Yost piece??

** snot bubble **
I did not capitalize heirloom....

MY heirloom has just been with me a long time. It's a custom that's about half DIY and half by another legendary gunsmith. I never really finished it. The frame has never even been blued! It's old and crusty, like my favorite pair of tidy whiteys.

Last edited by scottybaccus; 07-24-2012 at 06:54 AM.