Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > S&W Mod 10-7 refinish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Always nice to see a classic reborn! Fella that works in my building just picked up a mint Model 10, probably in 98% condition for $100. While I've managed to find some good deals - doubt I'll ever find a deal like that. Yeah, I immediately offered him double his money and was immediately told to go piss up a rope...

Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Always nice to see a classic reborn! Fella that works in my building just picked up a mint Model 10, probably in 98% condition for $100. While I've managed to find some good deals - doubt I'll ever find a deal like that. Yeah, I immediately offered him double his money and was immediately told to go piss up a rope...
Your friend got a great deal.

I can't pass up old S&Ws for a decent price. I might be scoring an 80s vintage Mod36 on Tue for $100. Fingers crossed.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

I can't pass up old S&Ws for a decent price. I might be scoring an 80s vintage Mod36 on Tue for $100. Fingers crossed.
I picked up this 5-screw flat latch pre-model 36 chief's special with the smaller trigger guard years ago for $200 at a gun show. Unfortunately, it came with these conversion target grips and I can't find the proper ones because I think it is an "I" frame or "baby J" frame because standard J frame grips are too large (the last pic is this gun wearing standard J frame crimson trace grips and they are too long).

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 02-14-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
I picked up this 5-screw flat latch pre-model 36 chief's special with the smaller trigger guard years ago for $200 at a gun show. Unfortunately, it came with these conversion target grips and I can't find the proper ones because I think it is an "I" frame or "baby J" frame because standard J frame grips are too large (the last pic is this gun wearing standard J frame crimson trace grips and they are too long).

Nice. I had a pre-36 flat latch in the box many years ago. I was talked out of it, unfortunately. I bet you could get some stocks from the S&W Forum. Reinhard might have a line on a set, too.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #15

Kinda silly question, but how thick does it come off as. Is it effecting the function at all? and how did ya get the screws so crisp? The one time I did use the stuff it looked like a retarded monkey went at it with Krylon.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkchucker View Post
Kinda silly question, but how thick does it come off as. Is it effecting the function at all? and how did ya get the screws so crisp? The one time I did use the stuff it looked like a retarded monkey went at it with Krylon.
It goes on pretty thin, but I will be checking gap before firing. My feeler guages are in one of my tool chests.

The screws are no problem as long as they are abrasive blasted prior to painting.

The only function issue was that the yoke was too tight, so I stripped some off and worked it in.

All in all it is very easy to do. I've done tons of rifles, pistols and shotguns, but this was my first revolver. I'm already on the prowl for another hacked up S&W.

As a side note to this one, when I was spraying the frame it slipped off the hook I was using and bounced all over the concrete floor in my garage. Came up covered in dirt, hair, bugs, dust, debris and all sorts of crap. Wiped the affected areas with acetone and a rag and re-sprayed them. You cannot tell it was done in two stages. Gun Kote is very easy to use, and do well.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #17

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 363

Default y0

Hi , i know this is an ancient thread but that looks awesome id like to do this gun koat With my Royal Hong Kong police issue 10-7 as well and this would be my first refinish so my question is was it hard to take the gun apart? is this a job you'd recommend a n00b try? thanks

Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
Hi , i know this is an ancient thread but that looks awesome id like to do this gun koat With my Royal Hong Kong police issue 10-7 as well and this would be my first refinish so my question is was it hard to take the gun apart? is this a job you'd recommend a n00b try? thanks
There is nothing difficult about detail stripping an S&W revolver, but if you have never done it, get some books and watch some videos before attempting.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI