Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   S&W 15 Project (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/s-w-15-project-43156/)

dnthmn2004 05-29-2011 02:02 AM

S&W 15 Project

3 Attachment(s)
This is my first complete project. I wanted to take a POS junker and turn it into something other than a paperweight. I think everyone should save at least one gun in their life. :D I hope this sets a good example for anyone thinking about undertaking a similar project. You don't have to spend a ton of money - everything I used, I already had lying around the house.

As some of you know, I bought a model 15 police trade in priced at $70. When I received it, it had more rust than blue on it, the internals were lubricated with carbon sludge dating back to the '60s and the springs were garbage. I almost regretted spending any money on it at all.

I took a lot of time cleaning it very thoroughly. I then I gave it a bath in vinegar for two hours scrubbing each part with a fine bristle brass brush and scotch bright pads every half hour or so. I then rinsed the parts and dried them in the oven at 250 for 20 minutes.

I spent a couple hours today buffing the parts with a cotton wheel and Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. I used my Dremel tool to detail some of the corners and small parts.

I just finished soaking/cleaning it with Break Free to remove any excess polish, assembled it and oiled it. It is now one sexy looking wheel gun. I plan on bluing it very soon but I want to enjoy the shine for a little. Also, there is a lot of pitting left over from the rust - any advise on fixing pitting would be helpful.

The new grips arrived yesterday and I expect the Wolf Spring kit next week, immediately followed by a range report. :cool:

danf_fl 05-29-2011 02:18 AM

Looks good. What did you have to do to the innards to get them to work?

dnthmn2004 05-29-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 513772)
Looks good. What did you have to do to the innards to get them to work?

I stripped the gun down as far as possible, down to the last pin. Cleaned every part with Break Free. I used maybe five sheets of the blue shop towels and every one was black when I tossed it. It was ridiculous. It might have been easier to pop the side plate and wash it out with a hose. lol

danf_fl 05-29-2011 02:25 AM

Is there a range report coming? If it is anything like mine, you should have no problems hitting the bull at 15 yards (double action).

dnthmn2004 05-29-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 513779)
Is there a range report coming? If it is anything like mine, you should have no problems hitting the bull at 15 yards (double action).

Yes sir, as soon as my new springs show up, I'm throwing them in and going to the range rain or shine.

danf_fl 05-29-2011 02:47 AM

Check out AlumaCoat(sic?). I did a 1911 slide that was slightly pitted. It is a long process with sanding between coats (over several weeks), but it seem to fill the minor pits.

Jesse17 05-29-2011 02:51 AM

Looking good. Thanks for the update, please keep us posted. :)

CA357 05-29-2011 02:57 AM

Can you get access to a fine glass bead blaster? That's about all I can think of to remove small pits.

dnthmn2004 05-29-2011 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 513809)
Can you get access to a fine glass bead blaster? That's about all I can think of to remove small pits.

Possibly. I don't know anyone off hand, but maybe a friend of a friend will.

CA357 05-29-2011 03:38 AM

I think it would lessen the pits and give you a more consistent surface to work with.

You may even want to consider Parkerizing it. Brownell's offers a pretty inexpensive Parkerizing kit.